Capitol police chief pledges crack down on protestors

The Capitol’s newly instated police chief may be cracking down on protesters following a series of recent complaints alleging protesters prevent the community from fully enjoying the Capitol building.

According to Department of Revenue Spokesperson Stephanie Marquis, Police Chief David Erwin made clear his dedication to ensuring staff and visitors can enjoy and use the Capitol. After increased complaints began to come in from Capitol staffers regarding protesters, Erwin said he was going to push for permit laws that would better control protesters. 

“There are a few [protesters] who would come behind [the Capitol staff’s] desk, scream at them and follow them to their cars,” Marquis said. “The chief is worried about crossing the line from free speech to harassment.”

Madison has a Capitol access policy that requires groups of four or more people to obtain a permit for Capitol use, according to Rep. Chris Taylor, D-Madison. She added former Police Chief Charles Tubbs, who took a job with Dane County this summer, did not enforce this policy.

Marquis pointed to a group called the Solidarity Singers, who sing in the Capitol rotunda every day at noon, as a main source of harassment concerns and staffer complaints. The group does not have a permit that allows them to occupy the Capitol every day, she added. 

Hundreds of groups request permits each year and Marquis said hardly any are ever denied. She said the permits allow police to know how many people are going to be in the building every day, aiding staffing planning and ensuring there is enough space for everyone requested to be there.

“It doesn’t cost anything, and the chief has been very public that he’s supportive of free speech,” Marquis said. “I would be curious as to why there would be an issue going forward, because [the protesters] want to be a peaceful group.”

Marquis said Erwin has not yet provided a timeline outlining when he will begin requiring protesters to obtain a permit, but she added there will be civil penalties enforced when he does.

Stacy Harbaugh, spokesperson for the American Civil Liberties Union of Wisconsin, said the Solidarity Singers sing about a wide variety of issues, such as freedom and equality. She said the ACLU has volunteers who are trained to be witnesses at the protests to monitor freedoms at the Capitol and any infringements on First Amendment rights.

“We oppose the policy that requires groups as little as four to request a permit,” Harbaugh said. “We think it’s too restrictive, and to enforce that rule would definitely be damaging to our rights to express ourselves, particularly in a very protected space like the rotunda.”

Harbaugh said the permits may be unpopular among protesters because they hold the groups responsible for damage that may happen at the Capitol. The permits also do not allow people to sue the government if they are injured in part of the protest, including activity by police, she added.

Taylor said the “extreme conditions” required by the permits are very difficult to meet and would result in stifling an individual’s speech. She said enforcing the permit laws would discourage people from political discourse in the Capitol, which is the purpose of the building.

Marquis added Erwin will perform training with legislators in September for basic safety and protection from harassment.