Suspect arrested in Planned Parenthood bombing

Police arrested a suspect last Tuesday in a bombing incident at a Planned Parenthood facility in Grand Chute, Wis.

According to a statement released by Planned Parenthood of Wisconsin, a “small, homemade explosive device” was placed on an outdoor windowsill of the facility April 1. The device caused a small fire, which resulted in some damage to an exam room. There were no injuries.

According to a statement released by the Federal Bureau of Investigation, a witness reported seeing a white SUV leave the building as the flames emerged that belonged to Francis Grady, 50.

Grand Chute Police Chief Greg Peterson said security video recordings from Planned Parenthood confirmed the white vehicle reported by the witness. The next day, investigators discovered the same vehicle was involved in a traffic accident and were then able to track down the suspect, he said.

“We’re confident in our arrest decision, and there’s no indication we had that we should be looking at somebody else,” Peterson said. “In order for us to make an arrest, we needed probable cause and we had enough to make that arrest, but that’s insufficient for a conviction.”

Peterson said Grady appeared in federal court in Green Bay last Wednesday afternoon.

Although it is currently under consideration by the police, investigations suggest the incident was performed by Grady alone without involvement from others, Peterson said. He said Planned Parenthood is wary about risks and takes considerable precaution on a regular basis.

“Unfortunately, they know people feel strongly about their services and some will act out,” Peterson said.

He added there have not been a rash of violent incidents at this Planned Parenthood location recently. There have been peaceful prayer sessions that have not caused disruptions in the past, he added.

Rep. Kelda Helen Roys, D-Madison, said that although the incident is disturbing and tragic, it has recently been a common occurrence.

“In 2011, there were over 100 acts of terrorism and violence against reproductive health care providers,” Roys said. “I think it stems from extremism.”

A statement from the Democratic Party of Wisconsin said that more than 36 hours after the bombing, Gov. Scott Walker has still made no public condemnation of the act of violence.

According to Roys, the silence of anti-choice leaders is the most disturbing part about the incident.

She added Walker’s reaction to this incident is not surprising.

“I’m disappointed but not surprised that he’s been silenced on this issue, given his extreme record of denying women access to reproductive health care,” Roys said. “He’s shown himself to be totally unconcerned with the needs of working families in Wisconsin.”

Democratic Party of Wisconsin Graeme Zielinski expressed shock that Walker has not publicly denounced the bombing. In contrast, Zielinski said that Republican primary candidate Rick Santorum condemned the attack and showed some leadership qualities, unlike Mitt Romney.

Zielinski said he finds the silence of Walker and Romney “troubling,” because they turned down an opportunity to condemn violence.

“They have strong opinions about Planned Parenthood,” Zielinski said. “They should be able to separate those strong opinions and their efforts to end Planned Parenthood with the violence committed here in our state.”

State Sen. Robert Cowles, R-Green Bay, did condemn the act and said it was immoral simply in terms of breaking the law.

“We’re a nation of laws, not a nation of men and women,” Cowles said. “You can’t go out and be vandalizing somebody’s property.”