3 UW students mugged near campus

A series of robberies near the University of Wisconsin campus early Sunday morning led Madison officials to believe the same group of individuals had committed the three crimes.

According to an Madison Police Department report, just before 2 a.m., a Madison man and woman, both 19, were walking on North Mills Street with a group of people when four or five suspects approached them and grabbed the woman’s phone. The suspects also punched the man in the face.

The suspects then fled the area in a “boxy-style” vehicle, according to the report.

At 4:45 a.m., a 20-year-old Madison woman was threatened and robbed on North Park Street between Spring Street and Fahrenbrook Court, a report said.

The woman was approached from behind by a suspect who threatened to shoot her if she did not give up her phone. The woman’s phone was stolen, but she was not injured and said she did not see a weapon, the report said.

The suspect, described as being between 16 and 21-years-old and wearing a green track jacket and khaki shorts, ran away down North Park Street after the incident.

At 4:47 a.m., two Madison men were robbed on Regent Street after being approached by three suspects who asked for the time, an MPD report said.

According to the report, one of the men was held from behind, and the suspects stole his wallet before driving away in a car similar to the car from the first incident on Mills Street.

Ald. Scott Resnick, District 8, said police believe the three crimes are linked, and that the same particular individuals perpetrated them.

“This is not the first time there’s been a rash of muggings in the Spring and Regent Street area,” Resnick said. “We have seen this several times as spring turns to summer.”

He said crimes in these areas and throughout the city tend to increase as the weather gets nicer and more people are out and about. He added that these crimes are not always violent, but things like thefts and alcohol-related crimes.

Resnick said he will be going to student houses in these areas before the university’s spring break to remind residents to lock their doors while they are away, and there will be a neighborhood meeting after the break to discuss the crimes and how to combat them.