Without sponsor, city takes up Mifflin plans

mifflin_ZL_file
Planning efforts have aimed to increase safety measures from the 2011 block party. With no sponsor, the city may alter city ordinances.[/media-credit]

After a potential sponsor for the Mifflin Street Block Party recently backed out of negotiations, the city is returning to the idea of planning the event on its own.

According to Madison Alcohol Policy Coordinator Mark Woulf, All Star Catering, a Hudson-based business that had applied for a permit to sponsor the event, chose not to sponsor the block party after discussing the intensity of the task.

Mifflin requires a high level of planning, Woulf said, including tasks above and beyond providing space and food for party participants.

“[The party involves] an intense security plan, coordination of staff members, ways to work with police, knowing how to deal with unplanned issues and knowing when to shut the event down if anything gets out of hand,” Woulf said.

With All Star Catering out, the city is looking for new methods to plan the block party. Woulf added the city’s plans for the event are not currently fully defined.

“At this point, the city is expecting to be on our own to figure out exactly what to do,” Woulf said. “It’s [Mayor Paul Soglin’s] preference that we have food carts and porta potties down there on that day. [We] don’t want to necessarily sponsor the event, but we are looking for ways to accomplish the goals.”

Even in past years when the party had sponsors, the city typically funds certain aspects of the event, according to Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4. He said Madison has always covered costs of police and fire departments.

Woulf said costs are not the real concern for this year’s event.

“Our focus this year is not as much on the cost as it is on reducing the impact of the event, even if that requires us to take on more of a burden to make sure we are reducing the event,” Woulf said.

Another main concern for this year’s Mifflin Street Block Party, in light of last year’s stabbing incidents, is safety for the party’s participants.

Verveer said one of the ways students and city officials alike believe the event can be made safer is to make alternatives to drinking available, including having food options at the block party.

However, without a sponsor, Madison officials will not be able to issue a street use permit, and thus vendors in the neighborhood would be illegal under city ordinance.

To allow for vendors at the event, a change in the ordinance would be needed. Verveer, who has worked with Soglin, students and the city to plan the event, said he and Soglin introduced an ordinance to make this change at a recent City Council meeting.

Verveer said the change would possibly allow vendors to set up on Mifflin Street during the event.

The next steps in planning Mifflin involve meetings with the city staff, Woulf said.

He added a meeting to address the recently approved nuisance party ordinance is planned for Madison police and Mifflin Street landlords.

“Some gatherings during the block party might be subject to that new ordinance, though I would think most would not because there are criteria as to if you are considered a big enough problem to be a part of it,” Verveer said.

In addition, there will be a neighborhood meeting open to the entire community to weigh the planning of the event on March 27 at 7 p.m. at the Madison Senior Center.