Crime in Brief

UNIVERSITY AVENUE

Battery

A man was arrested after he punched three bouncers at Wando’s Bar and Grill early Sunday morning, according to a Madison Police Department report.

The report said the bouncers escorted the man, who was a patron at the bar, out of the establishment after he was smoking a cigarette inside. The patron allegedly hit two of the bouncers in the head inside the bar and hit the third bouncer in the face when staff were trying to restrain him outside.

According to the report, both University of Wisconsin Police Department officers and MPD responded to the incident as a crowd of approximately 300 people gathered at the scene.

MPD spokesperson Joel DeSpain said bouncers occasionally experience attacks but he said it is rare to see three bouncers injured at one time.

Ald. Scott Resnick, District 8, said members of the crowd were taking pictures and video of the incident and the police had some issues breaking up the onlookers.

DeSpain said one bouncer drove another one to the hospital, where they both sought medical treatment.

REGENT STREET

Weapons Violation

A UW student was arrested after he threatened other students with a knife on the 1400 block of Regent Street early Saturday morning, an MPD report said.

The student, 18, had a dispute with his girlfriend, also 18, who was visiting from St. Paul, Minn., DeSpain said.

The student allegedly pushed his girlfriend while inside his apartment on Regent and picked up a knife after she left, which a friend managed to get away from him, the report said.

The suspect then grabbed a second knife and went out on the street, where he threatened two passersby, ages 20 and 21, with the knife, the report said.

“The two victims he did not know,” DeSpain said. “Their impression was that he thought they were talking about him.”

He also said the student had been drinking, an offense for which he received a citation. The two people threatened on the street were also identified as UW students.

Resnick said the events leading up to the incident, as well as the incident itself, are bizarre.

KING STREET

Battery

A bar patron allegedly beat a 32-year-old Fitchburg man outside Madison’s bar early Saturday morning, according to an MPD report.

The man and the suspect, described as being in his 30s, were kicked out of the bar for shoving each other. Once on the street, the suspect reportedly knocked down the first man and hit him repeatedly.

“It is not clear what instigated the attack,” DeSpain said. “The dispute started inside the bar.”

The victim was taken to a hospital and received stitches. He is also scheduled to receive a CAT scan, DeSpain said. The suspect has not been identified.

UPDATE-LANGDON STREET

Weapons Violation

An update from MPD on a stabbing that occurred Sunday night on Langdon was released by police officials.

The updated report said MPD is in contact with two men believed to be involved in the incident, one of whom is the person from the first report. Both men were involved in the dispute and sustained non life-threatening injuries for which they were treated at a hospital. As of Monday, there have been no arrests in the case.

“When things get close to the campus, people wonder if that is suggestive of a broader problem,” DeSpain said. “In this case, it appears to be a very isolated incident between these two people.”

The report also said the “underlying motive” behind the altercation is currently under investigation.