Dean Health Systems sued over possible disease exposure

A 55-year-old man is suing a Dane County hospital for allegedly infecting him with a disease during a medical test after the clinic found a nurse had used incorrect procedure in testing thousands of patients.

The patient filed a lawsuit against Dean Health System alleging he contracted hepatitis C after a nurse used unsterile equipment during a diabetes insulin demonstration. Last fall, Dean Health conducted an internal review that revealed a nurse’s improper use of diabetes treatment equipment on 2,345 patients who were contacted and determined to need testing for both hepatitis B and C.

In a statement from Dean Health, the hospital said 95 percent of the patients who needed to be tested for hepatitis C have been. Thirty percent of those people were found not to need testing through an interview process, according to the statement.

“We continue to follow the guidelines and recommendations of state health officials,” the statement said.

Hospital officials declined to comment on any current litigations or allegations concerning this case.

Amanda Kita-Yarbro, head epidemiologist at Dane County Health Services, said this is the first mass exposure the county has had in the 11 years since she has worked there.

Kita-Yarbro said Health Services has had some contact with Dean Health and that its main role would be doing a public health follow-up assessment.

She said it is Dean Health’s role now to perform tests on the other potentially infected patients. Any infected patients should then contact Health Services, which will provide them with information about handling the disease.

J.P. Wieske, spokesperson for the Office of the Commissioner of Insurance, said the patients could be compensated by the Wisconsin Injured Patients and Families Compensation Fund, depending on the court’s decision.

Wieske said there are certain limits in place determining whether the fund will take part in the incident. These limits include whether or not the hospital paid inconsistently into the fund, claims against the hospital and the severity of the problem at the hospital.

“This may have a claim down the road if they don’t settle, so there would be a resulting Patients Compensation Fund claim,” Wieske said.

He said due to the gravity of this particular situation, Dean Health has already started work with the affected individual. He said Dean Health has likely self-reported the problem.

Additionally, Wieske said the Wisconsin Hospital Association has been reporting on hospital standards from prices to quality. He said the purpose of this system is to determine where incidents occur as well as why and if these are isolated mistakes or ongoing issues.

The statement said Dean Health has tested the majority of patients and will continue to test the rest of those who may have been exposed.

“We remain committed to completing all necessary testing and committed to supporting all of our patients,” the statement said.