State Street committee approves Henry Street project

The proposed construction for North Henry Street was up for consideration on Thursday, with business owners voicing concerns that narrowing the street would make already tricky shipping areas more difficult.

North Henry, which is slated to go through full reconstruction, would be narrowed to make more room for sidewalk space. Members also weighed issues concerning the surrounding streets, particularly adding pedestrian lights on North Frances Street and the relocation of trees on Gorham Street.

North Henry Project Manager Eric Dundee said the purpose of narrowing the street is to provide more spaces for trees to grow and to make snow removal easier.

Several downtown property owners, on the other hand, worried that narrowing the street would make truck loading much more difficult.

Mary Carbine, executive director of the Madison Central Business Improvement District, said the involved areas are prime truck loading areas.

“If the trucks are there and if there are people parking, especially when it is snowing, it is difficult for a vehicle to get through,” she said. “We are concerned about the real life ability to navigate that street.”

Sue Springman, part of the Mullins Group rental company, agreed that narrowing the street would make truck loading more difficult.

Springman added that even without narrowing the street, it has been difficult for trucks to pass through, particularly at the corner around the Triangle Market.

She said trucks often end up going on the curbs because of lack of space, and some property owners will have to replace the curbs.

“We often have way more than one truck back up,” Springman said. “Delivery in and out is critical. Winter is difficult with so much snow on the curbs and everywhere else.”

City traffic engineer Dan McCormick offered a potential solution by suggesting the city adjust the angles of parking stalls to allow the street to be less narrow, but some property owners still did not support the idea.

Committee members made several proposals to modify the original plan and to narrow North Henry Street by a smaller interval. The committee made a final decision to approve narrowing the street by only two feet instead of four.

“We can live with two, but we don’t want any more than that,” Springman said.

The approved proposal will proceed to the City Council for approval.

Aside from curbing and guttering certain parts of the involved streets, the construction project also includes adding more pedestrian lights in areas such as North Frances Street.

Ald. Scott Resnick, District 8, said he is excited about this plan because it would make areas where students walk better lit at night.

“The lights are very dark on the streets, and these streets are well-traveled by students,” Resnick said.

The committee also discussed relocating certain trees on Gorham Street for extra space. Grates around trees will also be redesigned to be closer to the street to provide more space on the sidewalk.