Council weighs plan for State St.

citycouncil_MM
Members of the Madison Common Council heard from project managers on the Downtown Plan on Tuesday night. One of the plan’s hotly contested aspects includes the redevelopment for the 100 Block of State Street. New transportation avenues on Langdon St. and housing for the Mifflin St. area are also in the plans.[/media-credit]

A recent stall on the controversial aspects of the Downtown Plan, along with ideas to both preserve and enhance the 100 Block of State Street, was the key issue in a Tuesday night discussion session among Madison City Council members.

Downtown Plan Project Managers Bill Fruhling and Brad Murphy presented the council with nine main aspects of the plan, many of which the officials said would affect University of Wisconsin students. Each tenant of the plan, dubbed a “key,” presents recommendations for Madison over the next 20 years.

The first key point aims to celebrate the lakes, Fruhling said. It proposed to make parks and areas along the lakefronts more inviting.

Other key points include strengthening the region’s economic engine and ensuring a quality urban environment.

“Our downtown, because of our isthmus location, has some iconic views,” Fruhling said. “We need to make sure, from here on out, that those views are preserved.”

Maximum building heights in the downtown area are also being proposed, he said. These are aimed at strengthening the character of the downtown’s unique neighborhoods.

Fruhling stressed the importance of preserving key views, such as those from the Capitol to both lakes.

“A lot of the development interests have articulated very clearly about the height limits proposed in the plan,” Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, said.

The future of the Mifflin Street neighborhood’s development was also discussed by members in the meeting.

Mifflin Street is an area that has generated a lot of dialogue on its future, Fruhling said. There have been a number of new developments proposed, many of which are on the peripheries of the Mifflin Street area.

A new “urban lane” between West Washington Avenue and West Mifflin Street is proposed in the Downtown Plan and could include other new developments along with the plan, Fruhling said.

“The plan wants to continue to make the downtown an even better place to live than it already is,” Fruhling said. “It discusses housing for students as we see a shift of students living closer to campus.”

The plan also advises a number of more efficient transportation choices for the downtown area. The idea to create a Langdon mid-block path is also up for consideration in the plan.

There is currently a well-traveled pedestrian path through the Langdon Street area, Fruhling said; some of it is through public land, some through private land and some through parking lots. The Downtown Plan hopes to formalize these thoroughfares to make the area a safer place to walk.

The plan also proposes to make landmarks and historic districts of the city much more experiential. Fruhling said it recommends a more comprehensive approach to building up those historic districts such as State Street, Mansion Hill and the Langdon Street neighborhood.

Finally, the plan contains provisions to expand its recreational, cultural and entertainment offerings while becoming a model for sustainability.

Over the next two months, the Downtown Plan will be presented to the remaining commissions. After these presentations, developers will focus on getting the plan approved.

The plan was first introduced to the City Council Nov. 15 and is currently in the process of going through 14 city bodies on its way to a final vote.