Revised State Street plan up for debate

statestreetdevelopmentrendering
After city-wide controversy erupted surrounding proposed revisions to the 100 block of State Street, developers recently submitted a new plan that aims to better preserve the historical integrity of the area.[/media-credit]

Members from the Block 100 Foundation submitted revised plans for the renovation of the historic State Street block Monday after community members voiced concerns for preserving the street’s historically significant features.

According to project manager George Austin, the foundation offered its application for renovations to the 100 block of State Street on Jan. 9. The plans were revised to save the landmark Castle and Doyle building and the fa?ade of an adjacent building, addressing concerns that the renovations would destroy the historic character of State Street.

Austin contends the redevelopment plans would ultimately benefit the street’s commercial life.

“It’s important to keep State Street healthy in the future, and reinvestment of the street is the best approach to maintaining it,” Austin said. “[The renovations] will improve the economic efficiency of the building, give the properties a new 100-year life and take care of maintenance that has accumulated over the last 100 years.”

Several buildings on the 100 block would be demolished and replaced with space for retail and restaurants, Austin said. Additional space for offices would be located on upper levels of the newly constructed buildings.

Income from the properties would be gifted to the Overture Center under terms decided by the Block 100 Foundation, he said.

According to Austin, the plans would benefit State Street in that they would both preserve historical landmarks and strengthen State Street as a shopping district.

“Often in urban development, there are different approaches,” Austin said. “We think we have the best approach that will meet the widest opportunities and needs of the block, but that doesn’t mean all people will agree. There will always be different opinions.”

The proposal will likely encounter continued resistance from historic preservationists who are against the project.

Jason Tish, executive director of Madison Trust for Historic Preservation, said the renovations to the 100 block would still be detrimental to State Street’s character despite the revisions made to save the Castle and Doyle building. Tish cited the Overture Center as an example of a historic block that was removed in favor of sleek and modern architecture.

“State Street has a character that becomes the identity of Madison for the people that visit it,” Tish said. “This proposal would erode that historic character, much the same way the 200 block has been completely obliterated by the Overture Center.”

Madison Trust for Historic Preservation will hold a meeting Jan. 23 to present its own proposal to refurbish State Street’s 100 block.

Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, expressed support for the plan revisions but said the foundation will continue to face hurdles with community members that oppose renovations to the 100 block.

“I think the developers are moving in the right direction,” Verveer said. “I am supportive of the changes they’ve made thus far, but the modifications most likely won’t go far enough for many in the community.”

Verveer said the renovations would potentially be a controversial subject in the coming months as the plans make their way through city committees. Verveer said city ordinance requires the Landmarks Commission to approve or deny the plans, a decision that the foundation can appeal.

Verveer will hold a public hearing for community members to voice their opinions Jan. 23 at 7 p.m. in the Madison Senior Center on Mifflin Street. The Landmarks Commission will also hold a public hearing Jan. 30 on the issue.