Crime in brief

NORTH BROOM STEET: Battery

On Monday night, two downtown roommates found a man hanging down from a second floor balcony outside their residence, an MPD report said. An accomplice was nearby.

The intruders started a fight with the two men. Their other roommates came out to try to keep the peace and were pushed and punched by the suspects, the report said.

One of the suspects put his hand in his pocket, suggesting that he had a weapon.

The suspects left, but allegedly later returned to burglarize the victims’ apartment. Two of the victims’ windows were broken.

The roommates successfully caught one of the suspects and held him while waiting for police to come. Police arrested the two suspects.

COLLINS COURT: Overdose

A 39-year-old man was found unconscious in a public bathroom inside of an Arby’s on Collins Court, a Madison Police Department report said.

He was sent to a local hospital, where he admitted to shooting heroin in the bathroom.

Madison Police spokesperson Joel DeSpain said the city is in the middle of a heroin epidemic.

“I try to post this up so people will know the problem hasn’t gone away,” DeSpain said. “We do have a number of people dying from heroin.”

DeSpain said there has been joint effort between the county and the city at a level outside the police department to fight drug abuse. “This is not only a police issue,” he said.

FRISCH ROAD, JACOBS WAY, WINSTON DRIVE: Racist Graffiti

An MPD report said police have received a number of complaints regarding racist graffiti found sprayed at several locations on Madison’s west side.

Swastikas and other designs were painted in red on at least one home, a utility trailer and several fences. DeSpain said the graffiti contained racist content, with one saying “White Power.”

“Who is it is targeting? We don’t know,” he said. “There are a lot of different folks living in that neighborhood. There are a lot of ethnicities there.”

He added the police had received numerous reports of vandalism, many of which concerned openly discriminatory graffiti.

WEST TOWNE MALL: Retail Theft

Madison Police are currently searching for three women after stolen merchandise was reported from the Sephora store at West Towne Mall twice in the last week, an MPD report said.

MPD was first notified last Tuesday, when one of the women allegedly stole $3,100 worth of perfume bottles while the other two distracted store employees.

Police said the women returned to the store Monday. They again stole numerous bottles of perfume. The dollar value of the recent theft is still being calculated, the report said.

FISHER STREET: Reckless Endangerment

A 22-year-old Madison woman was arrested Sunday after attempting to attack another woman with a hammer, an MPD report said.

The victim managed to escape and sustained no injuries.

The suspect and another woman had started a confrontation with the victim in the parking lot and accused her of having a relationship with a married man, the report said.

After an increasingly heated discussion, the suspect allegedly shoved the victim and armed herself with the hammer.