Community voices concerns on State Street redevelopment, cite historical implications

Project heads for the proposed redevelopment of the 100 block of State Street were met with strong opposition from the public while arguing their plan before the city’s Landmarks and Urban Design commissions Monday night.

Eric Lawson, president and CEO at Potter Lawson, Inc., and Doug Hirsch, the company’s design director, presented the plans for the development Lawson referred to as “a vision.”

Jason Tish, executive director of the Madison Trust for Historic Preservation, said the project is an “architecturally dishonest and jarring” attack on one of the city’s most historic areas.

“Designated landmarks and another two-story building would simply go away,” he said. “This [is] a blatant violation of city policy toward historic places. It’s careless and heavy-handed.”

Tish said the area is a hallmark of Madison tourism as it’s seen as a landmark for visitors and residents alike. He added the demolition would detract from State Street’s “walkable [and] vintage charm.” He also said the approximately $10 million set for use in the redevelopment efforts could instead help redesign and rehabilitate the block’s historic buildings.

“As far as jobs go, rehabilitation and redesign projects create more jobs per million dollars than construction projects,” he said.

Several Madison residents echoed Tish’s concerns, saying demolishing landmarks is detrimental to the architectural character of the downtown area.

Multiple speakers also said the project would chip away at Madison’s history for future generations.

Both the developers and several Madison residents argued the project would instead preserve the character of State Street while taking the downtown area in a more modern direction.

“As we continue to build our history, having architecture that is expressive of modern ideas is necessary,” UDC member Dawn O’Kroley said.

The developers said one of their top priorities is preserving State Street’s unique facades and pieces of historic buildings.

Both Lawson and Hirsch said construction plans would include leaving several of the block’s original facades intact and only involve constructing behind them.

Builders would also use pieces of the original buildings in the new development, they added. One notable element being saved, they said, is a group of historic tiles currently at 121 State St.

“We would preserve the block’s architectural character while creating vibrancy,” Project Manager George Austin said.

Lawson and Hirsch said pending the project’s approval, the new buildings would be between two and four stories high. The ground floor would remain retail and restaurant space, while the upper floors would be converted to offices.

The controversial project has received financial backing from philanthropists Jerome Frautschi and his wife Pleasant Rowland, but it requires city approval to move forward.

Official city discussion of the project will begin in January, developers said. The project will be reviewed by the city’s Landmarks Commission, Plan Commission and Urban Design Commission, among others.

The city’s Landmarks Commission must make a recommendation to the Plan Commission about the project’s conditional use of landmarks. A certificate of appropriateness will be required to continue the project, developers said.

Approval of the city’s conditions will begin in February of 2012 and last through April.

If the project is approved, construction will begin April 2012 and continue until the summer of 2013.