Epic Systems to add 900 jobs

The Verona software development company Epic Systems recently announced plans to expand its campus with another set of office buildings, creating about 900 new jobs at the company.

The new development will be located on the south side of the campus and will be made up of three buildings, situated between Epic Lane and Milky Way. The company develops electronic medical record software for many hospitals and clinics.

“[Epic] wants to expand to meet the demand of their electronic business,” Verona Ald. Brad Stiner, District 3, said. “They are hiring young IT people who specialize in creating these electronics.”

Stiner said Epic is in the process of adding to its staff. They need more office space to accommodate their current and future employees. The new buildings will bring about 900 new jobs to the south side campus, he said.

Stiner added the development would allow for job opportunities for additional positions such as cooks, servers, janitors and many others.

Bill Burns, Verona City Administrator, said Epic’s expansion is positively impacting the community.

“I think we’re very glad to see Epic continuing to do well. This economic development is very good for the city of Verona,” he said.

The new buildings will also increase the value of the property, according to Burns. This brings in more tax money that will benefit the citizens of Verona.

The proposal was first presented to the Verona Plan Commission on Monday, Burns said. There was a “positive initial reaction.” However, there were many questions regarding traffic.

Stiner also said the company benefits Verona’s community and economy.

“I am very happy to have Epic Systems within the city of Verona,” he said. “From my point of view, District 3 is thrilled. They are very happy for people who can now land jobs there.”

While Burns did not comment on how this increase of jobs will directly affect UW students, he did know that the company “hires a lot of young people from the area,” including recent graduates.

This expansion will be in addition to the nine office buildings already on the Epic campus.