Crime in brief

LUCKY APARTMENTS

Fire

Madison firefighters were called to a seventh floor balcony at Lucky Apartments on University Avenue after a grill caught fire Tuesday morning, a Madison Fire Department report said.

Fire crews initially believed the fire was on the fifth floor, but saw flames reflected in seventh story windows when they entered the building.

The grill was burning on an outside porch, the report said. It took a full extinguisher and four pitchers to completely put out the blaze.

The report said the apartment’s occupants were cooperative, but will be issued a citation.

Students should remember grills and cooking appliances with an open flame are not allowed on combustible balconies, the report said.

NORTH HENRY STREET

Heroin Overdose

A 24-year-old man was brought into a hospital Sunday for a heroin overdose. He had been there just hours beforehand to pick up a 26-year-old friend who had also overdosed.

The two men live in the same apartment building, a Madison Police report said. Police said both men have struggled to beat their addictions.

After returning to his apartment following his overdose, the 26-year-old was awoken by his neighbor falling over after allegedly shooting up heroin. He attempted CPR and called 911, the report said.

Heroin is a growing problem in Madison and is prevalent in the downtown area.

“Many of the actual uses tend to be on side streets from Langdon [Street] that go towards the lake,” Ald. Scott Resnick, District 8, said. “There have been ordinances to give police more coverage of the area.”

FORDEM AVENUE

Driving Under the Influence

A Rio, Wis., man was arrested and suspected of heroin use Friday after getting in a car accident on Fordem Avenue, an MPD report said.

The man tried to drive between two cars that were stopped next to each other at a red light. The move scraped both cars and the suspect’s own.

Police were called, the report said, and the responding officer noted the driver was stumbling, slurring and had drooping eyelids.

The officer performed a field sobriety test, which the man failed. He then admitted to shooting heroin, the report said. Needles and other paraphernalia were found in the car.

TOLMAN TERRACE

Battery

Officers responded to multiple calls about the backyard beating of a 19-year-old man on Monday, an MPD report said.

A total of six teenagers allegedly punched and kicked the victim, resulting in numerous non-life-threatening injuries. The incident was following a verbal confrontation earlier in the day, the report said.

All six suspects were apprehended and arrested, the report said. They were arrested for substantial battery.

Police said many of those involved are closely affiliated with Madison gangs.

NORTH THOMPSON DRIVE

Weapons Violation

Police were called Friday when four teenagers on North Thompson Drive allegedly attacked an 18-year-old Madison man because of a dispute over a woman, an MPD report said.

The report said officers found the victim lying face down with cuts on his head, stomach and shoulder. The cuts all required stitches.

A box cutter was found by the victim, which police believe may have been used in the attack.

MOORLAND ROAD

Attempted Arson

An MPD report said a 44-year old man was arrested Sunday after dumping gasoline around a 46-year-old woman’s home.

Police said the victim and the suspect had an argument that ended with the suspect leaving the victim’s home.

He went to a nearby gas station and bought several dollars worth of gas, which he then carried to the woman’s home, the report said.

The woman smelled gas and called the police, who immediately responded. The suspect was found with a lighter in his pocket.