MPD to zero in on Freakfest drinking

coco_JL
A Madison resident speaks to the Downtown Coordinating Committee meeting on Thursday. At the meeting, a member of the Madison Police Department detailed the pressure law enforcement will be putting on noticeable underage drinking.[/media-credit]

The city’s Downtown Coordinating Committee heard an update on Freakfest and reviewed the city’s increased focus on underage drinking at the event, as well as the possibility of bringing larger acts to Madison in future years.

A major issue that the Madison Police Department is working to address is house parties near the Freakfest boundaries where underage drinking happens, said David McCaw, field lieutenant for MPD.

He said there will be five teams of six officers that will be searching the area near State Street for illegal parties.

“The loudest and boldest ones – those are the ones that will come to our attention,” McCaw said. “We’re trying to keep the river of alcohol that flows in check and slow down the violence that comes with that drinking.”

The university is also attempting to combat drinking by offering sober alternatives to Freakfest, including live music at Union South, said Ald. Scott Resnick, District 8.

“We realize that students are going to drink – we just want them to keep it slow, reasonable and out of our radar,” McCaw said. “As long as people aren’t injured and it’s not spilling over onto Freakfest grounds, we’re fine with it.”

The committee also discussed the possibility of increasing ticket prices in order to bring larger-name acts to the event.

Resnick said that this idea has been growing in popularity among students and that it should be put to an on-campus vote.

“A lot of students seem to think it would be worthwhile to pay more than $8 to hear something more popular,” he said.

The idea also comes in response to widespread student criticism of recent acts that have been chosen for Freakfest, said Resnick.

Freakfest may also come under scrutiny, said Resnick, because Mayor Paul Soglin is “not a big fan” of charging admission to be on a public street.

This year’s setup remains largely the same as last year’s “highly successful” arrangement, said Frank Productions spokesperson Charlie Goldstone.

Stages will be on State, Gilman and North Frances streets, with entertainment lasting until 1:30 a.m.

McCaw said there will be major street closings beginning on Friday, Oct. 28 at 6 p.m. The city will close down the majority of the streets surrounding the Capitol Square, but the square itself will remain partially open, he said.

Goldstone said an additional ticket booth has been added this year to decrease traffic and eliminate “rowdiness” of people waiting in line.

This year’s ticket booths will be located on Lake Street, the intersection of Gilman Street and University Avenue, and on either side of Johnson Street, by the Fire Department Administration Building and the outside of the Orpheum stage door.

As advertised, this year’s tickets are selling for $8 in advance and $12 on the day of show. This is a $1 increase from last year’s ticket price, Goldstone said.

Freakfest drew around 45,000 people last year, McCaw said, and is anticipated to bring in a similar or even bigger crowd during this year’s celebration.

A debriefing meeting will take place after the event to discuss this year’s party and look ahead to next year.