Madison elections: The semester that was

What began as a seemingly uneventful and predictable mayoral race throughout the latter half of 2010 quickly turned tides as an unexpected candidate – known as the only person in the city who could possibly beat out former Mayor Dave Cieslewicz – joined the ticket.

Following the Feb. 15 primary, Mayor Paul Soglin walked away with exactly 50 percent of the vote to Cieslewicz’s 47 percent – flipping the results of a race Madison had seen in 2003 when the two candidates were neck-to-neck in a similar mayoral competition.

Still, because the majority of student voters skip over the primary elections, Madison looked at the February results with uncertainty, given Cieslewicz’s lead over Soglin in 2003 came from his student support on the University of Wisconsin campus.

So, when the April 5 general spring elections rolled around and Soglin walked away victorious over Cieslewicz with a lead of only 713 votes in an election where more than 88,000 votes were cast, the night proved to be a nail-biter up until the final call was made.

The two candidates, both Democrats, shared similar sentiments about a number of essential city values, and neither could argue experience over the other given both candidates had served multiple terms in the mayor’s office.

Following the election, Cieslewicz said the only combination that could have possibly beat him out was Soglin coupled with the ammunition of the former mayor’s handling of the controversial Edgewater construction project.

“Dave and I have some basic shared values in regards to the importance of work and recognition of workers, in regards to the importance of good development in an urban setting and in regards to economic and social justice and the environment,” Soglin told The Badger Herald on election night. “The difference between the two of us is the emphasis in the priorities.”

Since taking office, Soglin has put the brakes on a number of Cieslewicz’s in-progress projects, including funding for the Central Library renovation and the new staffing model at the Overture Center.

A close race was also seen in the District 2 competition between incumbent Bridget Maniaci and challenger UW student Sam Stevenson – two candidates who continuously criticized each others’ policies throughout the weeks leading up to election day.

While a student district, the campaigns focused around more centralized city issues such as Maniaci’s often criticized approach to handling the Edgewater development.

Following her April victory, Maniaci has drawn attention from city officials through submitting the seventh draft of her cornerstone legislation, a controversial tenant-renting ordinance that would push back the date for when Madison landlords could begin showing properties.

In a competitive race to fill a recently open seat to represent a heavily student populated area, Ald. Scott Resnick swept the District 8 elections with 1,180 votes to his challenger Kyle Szarzynski’s 880.

Resnick ran on a promise to push changes to city policies that particularly affect students, such as creating medical amnesty for students faced with an underage drinking danger and updating safety on various parts of campus.