Crime in Brief

NORTH BLAIR STREET 

Underage Possession

A 20-year-old Madison man was charged with resisting a police officer and underage person in possession after failing to comply with officers’ orders to cease consuming alcohol Monday evening.

After police responded to an initial call concerning Ryan Shenk’s physical well-being after consuming excessive amounts of alcohol, MPD officers made a follow-up a little more than an hour later. They found Shenk, a UW junior, yelling very loudly, disoriented and naked, a Madison Police Department report said.

When police determined Shenk needed medical attention, he fought back while officers tried to handcuff him. Later in the evening, Shenk said he did not understand the charges against him, asking officers, “Resisting, when did I resist and why am I only wearing shorts”?

WEST MAIN STREET 

Theft

A woman who had left her car unlocked Sunday afternoon returned to her vehicle to find a man in her front seat rummaging through her belongings.

According to an MPD report, the woman exchanged words with the suspect and followed him once he fled the scene. She was able to direct the responding officers to the man’s location, and police recovered the woman’s MP3 player in the suspect’s pocket.

MPD spokesperson Howard Payne said a victim should not approach a suspect when confronted in a similar situation, but should instead call MPD.

“Any victim should not approach a suspect in a matter because you don’t know who you are approaching or what they might posses by way of weapons,” Payne said.

NAKOOSA TRAIL 

Drug Investigation

A 20-year-old Cottage Grove man was arrested on Nakoosa Trail earlier this week after officers discovered more than 200 grams of marijuana in his vehicle during a routine traffic stop, an MPD report said.

Griffin McGivern was charged with possession with intent to deliver less than 500 grams of marijuana – a Class I Felony – and possession of drug paraphernalia. Police found more than 100 grams of marijuana in jars in the rear seat of the car, along with scales and more than 100 rounds of ammunition. Officers also found more than 100 grams of cut and dried marijuana plants in the trunk.

Payne said the discovery in the trunk led officers to search McGivern’s residence using police dogs. The dogs found more marijuana in several locations within the house.

WEST BROADWAY 

Theft

Three individuals were arrested on a number of charges relating to an incident in which an unlocked, running car was robbed with a child inside earlier this week.

A 22-year-old woman said she ran inside a gas station on West Broadway and was advised while in the store that two males were entering her vehicle. The woman determined her purse and CDs were missing, but her child was unharmed.

Payne said though in this case it was apparent the suspects were trying to take something quickly, there could have been great danger if the suspects had taken the woman’s vehicle and a high-speed chase ensued with the child inside.

EAST WASHINGTON AVENUE 

Arrested Person

A Madison man was arrested Monday evening after providing MPD officers with a fake name and lying to officers about the status of his driver’s license during a routine traffic stop.

Carl Freeman Jones, 29, was arrested for a probation violation and operating while suspended. Jones was on probation for a drug offense.

Payne said Jones made threats that arresting him was a mistake.

“He made a statement to the effect that there were other people on probation that were doing more serious things than what he was caught doing,” Payne said. “He said in some way or another that he was going to create some problems when he got out.”