Crime in brief

STATE STREET 

Drug Investigation

After being stopped for inappropriately using a skateboard on the sidewalk and in the middle of the roadway along State Street mall Sunday afternoon, an 18-year-old La Crosse man made Madison Police Department officers suspicious he was trying to cover up a more serious offense. 

Tyler Zink was charged with possession of a Schedule II narcotic, possession of drug paraphernalia and violating the play vehicles not to be used on the roadway ordinance after trying to place his hands in his pockets during the officer’s confrontation for the initial ordinance violation.

Zink was arrested when the officer found hydrocodone in his pocket.

“The number one thing to do when stopped by officers is to listen intently to what directives an officer is giving you with respect to your hand location and your body location,” MPD spokesperson Howard Payne said.

EAST TOWNE MALL

Weapons Violation

An 18-year-old Madison woman was arrested on charges of possessing machine guns and other weapons, obstructing a police officer, retail theft and substantial battery this weekend after allegedly attacking a loss prevention officer at East Towne Mall.

After a group of LPOs located Gevonna Green and three other teenagers and young adults suspected of stealing merchandise from Gordmans, Green threw the stolen items at the LPOs and sprayed one officer with a mace-like substance, an MPD report said. She also allegedly bit a second officer who tried to intervene.

“When stopped by officers, citizens should be compliant with the investigation because the officer is trying to move through the investigation as efficiently as they can,” Payne said.

VERONA ROAD 

Drug Investigation

After failing to pull over for a MPD officer late Saturday evening, two Madison men were found to be in possession of cocaine and were arrested on felony charges of intent to deliver.

According to an MPD report, an officer spotted an unregistered vehicle and attempted to pull the two young drivers over to the side of the road. The drivers resisted the attempt and continuously looked back at the officer while fumbling around in the vehicle.

When the vehicle finally pulled over, the officer pursuing the drivers called for backup and for the assistance of MPD canine “Slim.” At least six bags containing more than half a gram of cocaine each were found.

DARBO DRIVE 

Arrested Person

When MPD officers responded to a violent domestic dispute call April 14, they discovered the suspect in the case was on parole and had violated the terms of his release on a number of levels.

An MPD report said Torin Thomas Sr., 42, of Madison, was arrested for using a knife against and spitting on his wife causing MPD officers to enter his home. Officers reported the odor of burnt marijuana and excessive alcohol.

Payne said officers responding to domestic disputes are often put in a dangerous situation.

“Some of those emotions that might have initially been between the two domestic partners can very quickly be transferred to an officer that is responding and trying to bring a calm to the situation, so it becomes a very dangerous situation for the officer to deal with,” Payne said.

SEQUOIA TRAIL 

Drug Investigation

A 49-year-old Wisconsin Rapids man was found unresponsive in a Madison street as a result of a drug overdose April 14.

Russel Guthrie was arrested for possession of heroin after being treated by Madison Fire Rescue and transferred to a local hospital for intensive evaluation. Guthrie was cooperative with MPD officers and relayed his memory of what had happened earlier that day.

Payne said individuals struggling with a heroin addiction should seek help in their community, either through a family doctor or through city and county programs.

“There are both city and county resources that want to draw reform,” Payne said. “There are so many resources out there, it could be overwhelming in terms of what might exist to assist individuals.”