Crime in Brief

LAKE STREET 

Weapons Violation

Madison Police officers responded to a call from a local hospital reporting that a 52-year-old man had been jumped and stabbed while walking on Lake Street March 10.

The victim had a stab wound to the back and required numerous stitches, a Madison Police Department report said. The victim claimed four men jumped him but said nothing and took nothing.

“At the time, we could not really substantiate the claim – he definitely had a minor wound to his back, but I would say it would be very unusual if in fact this did happen the way he said it did,” MPD spokesperson Joel DeSpain said.

WISCONSIN AVENUE 

Graffiti Complaint

A man dressed in all black was seen spray painting graffiti on a private parking garage located on the 100 block of Wisconsin Avenue March 11, a MPD report said.

According to the report, a private security officer called MPD to complain about a man who had tagged a parking garage wall with the words “Strike Now!” in black paint.

DeSpain said the officers took the spray can to dust for prints and for forensic study. He said an adult violating the city’s graffiti ordinance would be charged $681 for his or her first offense.

WEST MAIN STREET 

Disturbance

A man who identified himself to MPD officers as the “peace walker” hugged Sen. Glenn Grothman, R-West Bend, as the lawmaker exited M&I Bank March 15.

According to an MPD report, demonstrators were surrounding the bank and were verbally abusive to Grothman but allowed him to enter and exit without disruption until the “peace walker” embraced him.

“This person who calls himself the peace walker hugged Grothman but had no idea who he was at the time of the incident,” DeSpain said. “An officer told the man it was not okay to touch people who do not want to be touched.”

WEST GORHAM STREET 

Drug Investigation

MPD officers and Madison Fire Department firefighters responded to a call March 14 saying a 50-year-old Madison female had overdosed on alcohol, hydrocodone and possibly heroin, a MPD report said.

Officers found drug paraphernalia including a tourniquet and hypodermic needles at the woman’s West Gorham Street apartment. Dixie Lynn White was arrested on charges of possession and consumption and a probation violation relating to a previous homicide charge.

“The quick response of the police and fire departments were instrumental in both the physical well-being and incarceration of Dixie Lynn White,” the report said.

MOORLAND ROAD 

Kidnapping/Enticement

A 42-year-old Madison man was arrested on a charge of Child Enticement after two Madison girls reported him for attempted kidnapping March 13.

Robert Story was taken into custody after allegedly telling a 12-year-old and a 9-year-old girl walking along Moorland Road that he knew them, an MPD report said. After the girls denied any relationship to the man, he continued to talk to them and asked them to get into his car.

Another person approached the individuals and the suspect sped away in his vehicle but was later apprehended.

“This case certainly appears to be a legitimate enticement attempt, and certainly these two girls were able to give us a very good description of the car and the driver involved which allowed us to find him,” DeSpain said.