City renovation plan lands on feet, sans rail

Plans for a 12-block public market have been revamped to potentially include an underground parking garage, more hotel attractions and renovations to the Monona Terrace area.

Since the funds for the high-speed rail were pulled, plans for the area had to adjust to the change. The planning team, led by former city planner George Austin, is currently focusing on finalizing components of the plan for the general area in order to make plans for the construction of an underground parking lot, said Rachel Strauch-Nelson, spokesperson for Mayor Dave Cieslewicz.

This parking lot would replace the Government East Garage, which Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, said is nearing the end of its useful life. He also said the new parking will provide an opportunity to continue the redevelopment of the area in a number of ways.

Officials have also discussed the possibility of adding additional rooms and amenities to the nearby Hilton to provide better accommodations for the area – a move Verveer said he believes would aid in creating a truly prosperous development.

Verveer said experts in convention history have said that in order for Monona Terrace to reach its full potential, more lodging possibilities in close proximity are necessary. Office space and retail area have also been proposed as an option in the area. Verveer said the proposal might mimic Madison’s current farmer’s market.

Verveer also said even though the city is known for its high level of public participation in planning public spaces, the plans are too preliminary to be fully discussed and debated. The information that has been provided to the public has been met with very positive feedback, he said.

Strauch-Nelson also said though the plans haven’t been discussed openly with the public, there has been a good amount of enthusiasm for the project as a whole. She said those involved see the proposal as an exciting economic development.

“It’s a chance to really have an exciting project in that area to create some jobs,” Strauch-Nelson said.

Strauch-Nelson and Verveer both said the public participatory process will come next, but acknowledged it may still be somewhat far off. When the developers finalize more concrete plans, the proposal will be displayed for community feedback and involvement, Strauch-Nelson said.

Mayor Dave Cieslewicz originally introduced the plans for the development based on the increased economic potential he said would come with the high-speed rail innovation that was crushed when Gov. Scott Walker turned down funding for the project.

“Even without the train station component, I think that the remaining possibilities are very exciting – particularly the public market concept,” Verveer said.

With the rail out of the picture, the original plans were altered to accommodate the significant difference in expected visitors, Strauch-Nelson said. The Market Square was originally expected to be successful because of the estimated 500,000 people the rail was supposed to bring through Madison. Strauch-Nelson said the individual pieces of the project still make sense despite the setback.

Strauch-Nelson said there is still a lot of work ahead before official plans can be shown to the public. She said the replanning is still in its preliminary stages and no official timeline is set for the project’s completion.