Woman accuses Madison alder of sexual assault after bar visit

A prominent progressive member of Madison’s City Council is under investigation by the Wisconsin Department of Justice for an alleged sexual assault.

The night in question was in April 2010, when a group of city employees gathered at a bar following a City Council meeting. Ald. Brian Solomon took a woman to his home, where she alleges the assault took place.

Solomon, who represents part of Madison’s near-west side and is considered to be one of the council’s most vocal progressives, told The Badger Herald he denies the allegations, which came from a city employee.

“I can’t think of why this is happening,” Solomon said. “It’s very, very terrifying and horrible, and I didn’t do anything wrong.”

Solomon is facing reelection in April and has a primary challenge from residents Nelson Donovan and Thomas Farley, a member of the city’s committee on alcohol policy. In previous election cycles, Solomon has enjoyed the support of Dane County Democrats. But the party decided not to make an endorsement in Solomon’s district this year, although Dane Dems Vice Chair Erik Paulson said the decision had nothing to do with these allegations.

Because of the sensitivity of the matter, several alders on the council aware of the investigation’s details declined to comment on the story.

Solomon has served on the council since 2007 and represents an area of Madison that includes the Regent neighborhood and parts of the Monroe Street corridor.

He has been particularly involved in issues relating to equal opportunities for minorities and laborers; he is a member of Madison’s Equal Opportunities Commission, the Community Services Commission and the Allied Drive Task Force, which attempts to alleviate economic and social issues in one of Madison’s most problematic neighborhoods.

Most recently, Solomon came into the public eye for proposing an amendment to the city’s Edgewater Tax Increment Financing agreement stipulating the Edgewater’s developer, Hammes Co, would need to set goals for living wages for Edgewater employees and hire a specific quota of minorities for the project.

Solomon also played a crucial part in the city’s recent negotiations over the debt restructuring of the Overture Center when he polled council members on their preference for different models and determined no proposal would have gone forward at the time.