Capital Square could be getting new look

statest_MH
Principal Planner Bill Fruhling met with the State Street Design Committee Monday to review plans to renovate several blocks in the Capitol Square area.[/media-credit]

The north side of the outer Capitol Loop area could be getting a face lift next spring, according to a plan presented to the State Street Project Design Oversight Committee.

The committee met with Principal Planner Bill Fruhling and city engineer Chris Petykowski Monday night to review the plans for the Outer Capitol Loop North Project, which would renovate several blocks of Hamilton, Dayton, Carroll and Mifflin Streets for friendlier pedestrian access.

The project would improve the aesthetics of the area by planting new trees, installing ornamental street lights, new bus shelters and repaving roads in the area.

“The project will make it safer and more comfortable for pedestrians and transit users,” Fruhling said.

Pedestrian safety was a main concern, especially in the sometimes dangerous area near East Mifflin Street. Committee Chair Ted Crabb said if areas with heavy pedestrian traffic on Mifflin Street do not get stoplights, yield to pedestrian signs might be necessary.

Crabb also said he was concerned about the area’s proximity to the Madison Children’s Museum.

“We’ve got so many people coming that are children coming from that museum,” Crabb said.

He added similar signs have been helpful on North Carroll and West Dayton Streets, where they are placed only on weekends.

In addition to paving, the new plan would have crosswalks repainted and more defined. Petykowski added crosswalks would be adapted to fit Americans with Disabilities Act regulations.

Bike racks and marked bike lanes around the Loop are also a part of the project’s new transportation amenities.

Petykowski said the “bike boulevard” portion of East Mifflin could be getting a signal for bicyclists to cross the road to eliminate illegal biking maneuvers and make bike travel safer for both cyclists and drivers.

The committee voted unanimously to endorse the project with the addition of their comments from the meeting.

Additionally, the community looked ahead to future projects, including redevelopment of the area around State Street and Lake Street, scheduled to begin May 16, the Monday after the University of Wisconsin’s spring commencement ceremony.

Planning for improvements to the 700 and 800 blocks of State Street will also begin this year. Petykowski said the City of Madison was interested in hiring a consultant for the planning of the project.