Crime in Brief

Sexual Assault
East High School

A 15-year-old male student was arrested Thursday afternoon for First Degree Sexual Assault of a fellow student.

The 15-year-old victim said she accompanied the suspect down a stairway to the basement of the building, according to the report. The suspect allegedly held her against her will and committed the assault while in the stairway.

The report added the two were previously acquainted.

“We see very few sexual assaults taking place in schools,” MPD Spokesperson Joel DeSpain said. “However, schools are a reflection of the community at large and sometimes crimes are committed in schools like they are on the streets.”

DeSpain said the school district will likely analyze the school’s environment to ensure they’ve taken every step necessary to be safe. He added Madison police will continue to work with schools regarding security measures.

Stabbing
East Towne Mall

Another MPD report said a 24-year-old man was the victim of a stabbing outside the Buffalo Wild Wings at East Towne Mall late Saturday night.

According to the report, the man is now in critical condition after someone he was fighting with stabbed him several times.

Police said they have not arrested anyone in connection with the stabbing.

Robbery
Horned Owl Court

A 34-year-old man was robbed at gunpoint early Friday morning inside his home, according to a Madison police report.

The report said the two suspects were allegedly armed with handguns and stole two television sets, video game equipment, detergent and the victim’s license plate.

Police said they believe the crime was a targeted robbery – not a random crime.

Fraud
Kennedy Elementary School

Adding to a recent string of counterfeit $20 and $50 bills, an 8-year-old boy brought a fake $50 bill to school Thursday afternoon to show his classmates, an MPD report said.

The boy told his classmates he obtained the counterfeit bill from a local toy store, the report said. Police said a fake bill showing up at a school is unusual but they took the incident seriously because phony money has been showing up all over Madison recently.

The report noted MPD has been receiving several calls concerning both counterfeit $20 bills and more recently $50 bills.

Sexual Assault
MacArthur Road

After adding a 26-year-old man as a “friend” on Facebook months ago, an MPD report said a 12-year-old girl was sexually assaulted on the evening of Nov. 9.

Gustavo Garcia-Aguirre met the young girl two days prior outside of a shopping mall, the report said. He then picked the girl up at her home on Nov. 9 and drove her to a nearby parking lot.

The report said a friend of the victim’s mother was worried and searched for the girl only to find her in the car with the windows fogged up. While Garcia-Aguirre denied allegations, the girl admitted to sexual contact and the suspect was charged with First Degree Child Sexual Assault.

Robbery
Jefferson Middle School

An MPD report said two 13-year-old students were arrested for strong-armed robbery as they attempted to mug a fellow student of the same age Wednesday afternoon.

The victim was standing at his locker when one suspect approached him from behind as the other tried to steal his wallet, the report said.

The teens ended up falling down and the suspects ran away empty handed as the victim yelled for help, according to the report. The victim reported the crime to the principal immediately, who then reported it to police.