Madison man busted for child porn may go to federal court

A Madison man made his initial appearance in Dane County Court Wednesday on charges of possession of child pornography and sexual assault.

Michael Spiess, 23, was pulled over October 29 by Madison Police on Cottage Grove Road for allegedly driving drunk. After the reporting officer saw a liquor bottle in the front seat, the officer searched the rest of the car and found printed child pornography and children’s underwear, prompting additional investigation.

According to Madison Police Sgt. Howard Payne, Spiess was originally charged with three counts of possession of child pornography, but after further investigation, Spiess has been charged with seven counts of possession of child pornography, two counts of sexual exploitation of a child and individual counts of sexual assault and possession of an illegally obtained prescription.

The investigation is ongoing, and Payne says that detectives and investigators are looking at every aspect of this case to uncover as much evidence as they can in the coming weeks.

“Our detectives are seeking to turn every stone and look at every angle in this investigation to find [Spiess’] aims and what he’s been involved in,” Payne said. “The department will utilize every resource it has at its fingertips.”

According to Payne, while the MPD does not have a single online investigation unit, the department has particular investigators that have expertise in dealing with computer crimes and forensic examinations of computers and other electronic equipment.

Although the investigation has unturned much more evidence than the initial search of Spiess’ car, Payne says no identifications have been made on any of the children appearing in the photos, so police remain unsure whether the children are local to Madison or not.

“From what I have been told by the lieutenant, this investigation is in its infancy, and hopefully we’ll have more answers in the coming days,” Payne said.

Assistant Dane County District Attorney Brian Ausmus said he could not comment on the specifics of how much evidence has been found, but said given the amount they have already found, the case could be taken over by federal prosecutors.