Crime in Brief

University and North Randall avenues: bicycle accident

A 21-year-old male bicyclist was injured Wednesday night after colliding with a car at the intersection of University Avenue and North Randall Avenue. 

According to a Madison Police report, the victim was headed eastbound in the designated bike lane when a 23-year-old man turning his car from University Avenue onto N. Randall Avenue collided with the cyclist as the cyclist was proceeding through his own green light on N. Randall Avenue. 

MPD spokesperson Joel DeSpain said the incident is still under investigation but that one of the main issues was that the bicyclist was not wearing a helmet and did not have any lights on his bike. 

“I’m a bicyclist myself and ride to and from work and it’s crucial, especially at this time of year, that bicyclists wear lights,” DeSpain said. 

Hitching Post Court: weapons violation 

An east side family awoke to the sound of gunfire early Thursday morning at their Hitching Post Court residence. Officers first on scene discovered eight holes to the front of the house and several to the living room window, the unfortunate result of someone shooting a pellet gun. 

The family reported that minutes after their house was hit, they heard the sound of three or four more shots coming from a couple of blocks away, according to the report. 

West Beltline Highway: disorderly conduct

A 24-year-old woman said she was giving her boyfriend a ride early Thursday morning when he allegedly grabbed the steering wheel, veering the car across West Beltline traffic and crashing into a guardrail. 

The woman proceeded to call the police out of concern not just for her own safety but for the safety of her two children, who were riding in the back seat. The man claimed that the woman was driving too fast and erratically and he felt endangered, which is why he grabbed the steering wheel, the report said. 

The man was arrested on charges of Second Degree Reckless Endangerment and Disorderly Conduct.

Merryturn Road: weapons violation 

An east side  resident awoke early Thursday morning to a grim discovery that her car and possibly her garage had been damaged by gunfire. The responding officer was able to confirm that both the car and the garage were struck. 

For the second time in a week, an unidentified weapon caused damage to homes in the surrounding area, the report said.
The report said the incident may be linked to another weapons violation in the neighborhood, in which an east side family’s residence was hit with a pellet gun.

McKenna Boulevard: robbery

A 22-year-old Middleton man became the victim of a robbery in a McKenna Boulevard apartment complex when he was attacked and robbed by three men.

According to an MPD police report, the victim was punched and knocked unconscious and treated at a hospital for head injuries. Following the assault, the victim’s wallet and watch were missing. Police are still searching for the three assailants, including one whose identity they say they know.