Downtown bar to bring more bands

ALRC_MM
ALRC member Tom Landgraf at Wednesday night’s meeting. The committee[/media-credit]

A downtown bar will be able to host more DJs and bands after the city’s Alcohol License Review Committee approved their request for an entertainment license.

The TC Katz tavern, located at the former Ram’s Head Bar, was granted a 21 and over entertainment license aimed at attracting more patronage on weeknights.

The bar, which is located in the basement below Cosi on State Street, wants to book cover bands to bring people into the tavern, Ryan Moore, the owner of TC Katz, said.

Though the committee raised concerns regarding the prevention of underage drinking, Moore said employees are trained to ID at the door on weekends.

He also said recent efforts to sell food at the bar have proved lucrative, particularly on the Saturday of the Ohio State football game.

Additionally, the plan for Sconnie Bar, a business venture from the owner of Sconnie Nation, continues to stall in the face of continuing obstacles regarding the proposed location on West Gorham Street.

Sconnie Nation owner Troy Vosseller requested his liquor license application be referred to the November Alcohol License Review Committee meeting after referrals at the September and October meetings, Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, said.

Vosseller’s proposal was halted after finding the maximum capacity for the previous business at the location was 175, as opposed to the 500 he had planned on.

According to Vosseller, he assumed the building would act as a clean slate because the previous establishment had been closed for more than three years.

Because of the extensive plumbing, electrical and structural renovations that are necessary, a capacity of 175 is not viable in the 8,000 square feet space, Vosseller said.

A proposal for the Retro Tavern on West Main Street also received another referral to the November ALRC meeting.

A major factor in the requested referral is significant neighborhood opposition in the Bassett Street area.

“The Retro Tavern is considering changing their business model from a tavern to a restaurant,” Verveer said.

The Brink family’s business plan included multiple levels designated for dining, a bar and entertainment. The proposed establishment would create a niche in an area that mainly caters to college students.

“Both Sconnie Bar and The Retro Tavern are in similar situations,” Verveer said. “They’re working with official and the neighborhoods before coming in front of the committee.”