Crime in Brief

Robbery Monroe Street

An attempted armed robbery of Michael’s Frozen Custard prompted Edgewood College to issue a dormitory lock down late Sunday night, said director of Edgewood security Mike Metcalf.

“The Madison Police Department contacted us and told us of the ongoing situation in the area,” Metcalf said.

The lock down was called off about an hour later after MPD said the situation was stabilized.

Metcalf said security sent an e-mail to students explaining the situation as well as notifying the residential advisers. He also said a public address system secured the inside and outside of the building. He added the routine worked well.

The attempted armed robbery involved an unidentified man in his early twenties carrying a handgun, according to a Madison police report. The suspect pointed the gun at the store clerk demanding money.

The clerk said to the man “This is an ice cream store,” while pointing toward the door. The suspect cursed, withdrew the weapon and left without taking anything, the report said.

MPD spokesperson Joel DeSpain said the suspect is still unidentified. He declined to say the robbery was the cause of the Edgewood College lock down. He added there was no threat to the general neighborhood.

“It’s a very peaceful neighborhood and we don’t see a lot of crime in the area,” DeSpain said. “We personally wouldn’t do a lock down, but that decision was up to [Edgewood].”

Update South Side Shooting

The investigation of the deputy who was involved in the Oct. 12 Fitchburg fatal shooting came to a close Monday afternoon. A Dane County statement said Dane County Sheriff deputy Keith Severson, who shot and killed Eugene Walker last week after a domestic dispute call, did not commit any wrongdoings during the dispute.

On Oct. 12, police were searching for Walker, who was reportedly armed, when Severson found and approached him. After citing him from a distance, Walker attacked Severson.

Dane County District Attorney Ismael Ozanne announced in a statement Severson followed procedure during the fatal shooting. He said Severson has no criminal liability based on the investigation.

Trespassing West Gorham Street

An 18-year-old Chicago man paid an uninvited visit to a few downtown residents, leaving behind his pants, cell phone and a “heavily soiled toilet” in a West Gorham Street apartment on Oct. 10, according to a Madison police report.

The report said a 19-year-old resident called the police when he woke up and entered the bathroom and was alarmed by the sight and smell. He told MPD the suspect woke him in the dead of night but left only minutes after using the bathroom.

The victim said the front door was left unlocked. After one of his roommates spent two hours cleaning the toilet, the resident said they have learned their lesson. The investigating officer found the suspect’s e-mail and told him how to get his property back, according to the report.

Fake Handcuffs West Gilman Street at State Street

Pretending to escape from the police in fake handcuffs landed a 19-year-old Madison man in real handcuffs Saturday night, according to a MPD report.

The report said Duane Madge, Jr., sprinted toward the capitol square in handcuffs during the celebration following Wisconsin’s victory over Ohio State.

While some spectators tried to help the officers by pointing out the suspect, others cheered Madge on.

The report said Madge explained he was trying to be funny. The officers then placed real handcuffs on the man and cited him for disorderly conduct.

Prowler North Henry Street

A Madison woman called the police after she found a middle-aged man peering through her bedroom window late Sunday night, an MPD report said.

With no permanent address, Darrell Lowell told officers he was looking for a place to sleep for a couple of hours, the report said. The 21-year-old victim said she noticed Lowell right after she finished showering.

Lowell was arrested for disorderly conduct, according to the report.

Weapons Violation South Park Street

A Madison police report said a confrontation outside of a Park Street tavern led to a 25-year-old Madison woman being stabbed in the wrist early Saturday morning.

Police are still unclear about the exact chain of events, but the report said the victim and another woman were arguing during the night. The victim was treated at a local hospital while the suspect remains unidentified.