Board of Estimates gets first crack at Operating Budget

Groups receiving funding from Mayor Dave Cieslewicz’s proposed 2011 operating budget presented details and offered clarification to the Board of Estimates in a meeting Monday.

The meeting came a week after the budget’s introduction, which presented a routine plan for Madison’s economic future.

The groups at the meeting said they aim to adjust requests for funds based on necessity or to reallocate funds within their departments in order to keep taxes manageable.

Budgeting for the city’s libraries required reconsideration for when the Central Library moves to a temporary location.

The library will drop cleaning contracts and have their own maintenance staff do cleaning.

Also, the library will hold certain positions open and refrain from hiring other positions until Central Library moves back to its permanent location after its proposed renovation and the positions become necessary again.

The opening of the new Fitchburg library is also causing uncertainties. The taxes from Fitchburg residents previously used to fund Dane County libraries will now partially fund their own.

The budget considers speculation about what libraries Fitchburg residents will use and the accompanying need for funding.

Along with the city’s libraries, the Madison Metro Transit budget pledged to maintain services into 2011, which has been a difficulty for other transit services nationwide due to the economic downturn, Metro General Manager Chuck Kamp said.

Metro Transit’s apparent budget increases are due to the absence of stimulus funding and an increase in fuel costs anticipated over the next year.

Kamp said he expects technological advances as well, including a possible development of a mobile application to track bus routes.

Madison Metro Transit has a signed agreement with Google Maps allowing for the transit routes to be available through the service, Kamp added.

Additionally, representatives from the Dane County Personnel and Finance Committee joined the meeting to explore the health budget.

While trying to retain current programs, additions of MedDrop lock boxes, which allow the proper disposal of prescription medication, were introduced.

The lock boxes would be put in police stations and other easily accessible locations for the proper disposal of prescription medications.

An increased amount of recent prescription drug abuse prompted the need for the MedDrop boxes. This prescription drug abuse acts as a gateway to abuse of other narcotic drugs such as heroin, said Department of Public Health director Dr. Thomas Schlenker.

“There is a heroin epidemic with an increasing number of overdoses and deaths,” Schlenker said. “Not just by traditional heroin addicts, but by young people, people with jobs, people in school.”

Also at the meeting, Ald. Satya Rhodes-Conway, District 12, said a partnership between Madison parks and soda companies went against the Madison’s commitment to the Fit City Initiative.

“If we are going to do marketing partnerships I think that’s something that should be overseen by the council, and I think that we should choose our partners carefully,” Rhodes-Conway said.

The testifying officials said other parts of the budget were consistent with the previous year’s budget, including the City Attorney’s office, water utility, city planning and building inspection.