Overture model narrowed to 3 choices

overture_LK
Due to lack of revenue over the years, Madison’s Overture Center for the Arts may see a completely new management model by the end of the year.[/media-credit]

In a collision of advice and opinion, the city’s Overture Ad Hoc Committee met Tuesday night to continue hammering out a plan to avoid further financial problems for the Overture Center for the Arts.

The meeting considered different variations of financial models and their implications. The plans for the Overture Center have been narrowed down to three plausible options.

AMS Planning and Research spokesperson Steven Wolff presented the variations of options available including the three models, though he emphasized the models can still be amended based on effectiveness.

One of these models would minimize risk and reduce costs. However, this plan would produce a decline in revenue, he said. Another aimed to drive up revenue, but would incur extra costs to the city.

The currently proposed focus model would put Overture in the hands of a non-profit board. Additionally, it would create expanded activity and fundraising with some outsourced services while maintaining the current city subsidy.

Wolff said the focus model intends to remain true to Overture’s mission statement and provide sufficient community outreach. He added the model allows for higher activity, higher standard of care, and a full range of services.

“The focus model is the culmination of two years of thought and effort of the focus board and other community members,” Committee member Deirdre Garton said.

Committee member Ald. Tim Bruer, District 14, said he was concerned about the methods of composing these models. He argued for the involvement of an independent consultant who would not be directly affected by the outcome of the models.

“Did anyone from your entity solicit the support of the city to bring in independent consultation”? Bruer asked.

Garton said the process tried to be as thoughtful and professional as possible.

Also, Madison Cultural Arts District member Brian Butler introduced concepts for governance of the Overture Center.

Bulter outlined the plan to change the 201 State Foundation into the Overture Center Foundation for eventual management of the Overture Center. He stressed qualities of the committee and its members for most efficient organization.

Committee member and former Mayor Paul Soglin questioned the methods of formation of the committee, while Butler said he was confident in the fundraising ability of the committee. Soglin said the fundraising ability has been a problem for nearly a decade.

Butler said the primary goal of the foundation would be to remain true to the Overture Center’s mission statement, but the mission is expensive.

Members of the International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees Local 251 and other Overture employees showed support for the motion to save the Overture Center, along with concerns over details relating to financial consequences.

The ad hoc committee is working on a tight deadline; Madison’s City Council hopes to approve some sort of new financial model for Overture before the end of this year.

Committee Chair Mark Bugher told the committee their mission is important to the city and could help Madison financially.

“We have the opportunity to remove $28 million worth of debt from this building,” Bugher said.