Board of Estimates signs off on budget

aAttendees of Madison’s Freakfest Halloween celebration can expect to see a diminished police presence after the city’s Board of Estimates voted to send the lowest amount of funds to security in the event’s history.

The Board of Estimates voted last night to appropriate almost $36,000 from a reserve fund for a variety of events for the Halloween festival, including a contract with the musical production company Frank Productions.

Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, said since 2006, Freakfest’s cost has been markedly reduced due to success in ticket sales and a fewer number of disturbances in the crowd.

“Spending would have been appropriated for more lights to light up State Street in previous years,” Verveer said. “And for the police department in making arrests. But that’s not needed now as things have gone well.”

In another attempt to reduce the city’s out-of-pocket costs at the event, local police and Wisconsin state troopers will not stay at the University Inn on Frances Street as in previous years.

Similar to previous years, officials also voted to fence off State Street to increase public safety and to enforce ticket sales the city will use to pay for the event.

Verveer added though the entire $36,000 is taken from the reserve fund rather than being annually budgeted by the Board of Estimates, the city expects to break even and cover the cost with ticket sales.

The board also unanimously voted to approve Mayor Dave Cieslewicz’s capital budget with some amendments.

Board members also considered a proposal for the construction of a new central library and an amendment to fundraise for a Central Park Plan, including a legal skate park for downtown Madison and improved cross walks and traffic lights to be installed at Webster Street and Mifflin Street.

The improved cross walks for the Webster Street and Mifflin Street area are meant to better accommodate pedestrians who are put in danger by the heightened traffic surrounding that area.

After concerns of speeding on Webster Street, the board also voted to add a traffic light to increase pedestrian safety.

Ald. Satya Rhodes-Conway, District 13, said the move will make walking and biking in Capitol Square easier and safer.

“[This will] allow the inner-outer ring to communicate better with the surrounding spoke streets,” Rhodes-Conway said.

The approved Board of Estimates will go on to the City Council in early November where the $240 million budget will be reviewed for more input and authorization.

Verveer said he was excited about the construction of the Central Library, which will gut out the current Mifflin Street structure and completely renovate the building.

Additionally, the board discussed the proposed Central Park, a plan that has now been in process for years, and will include a mix of federal funding as well as private contributions that will fund the removal of the existing rail tracks that cover the land.