Football game ejections, fire in Eagle Heights

Game Day Stats

Unlike last week’s victory over San Jose State, the number of ejections in the Badgers’ latest victory against Arizona State greatly exceeded the total of the game’s final score.

According to a statement from the University of Wisconsin Police Department, police ejected 71 people at Saturday’s home game – 46 of them being UW students. Police distributed 30 underage drinking tickets and arrested 35 people–29 of them UW students.

22 of the ejections were for alcohol possession or intoxication, while police threw five spectators out for throwing objects throughout the game. One person resisted arrest, the report said.

Fire in Eagle Heights

An Eagle Heights family suffered approximately $30,000 in damages after a fire engulfed their apartment Thursday afternoon.

A statement from the Madison Fire Department said no one was home during the fire at 944 Eagle Heights St., which firefighters responded to at approximately 10:30 a.m. Thursday morning. Firefighters stopped the fire within minutes, the statement added.

University Housing spokesperson Marc Scateni said the cause of the fire is still subject to investigation. The American Red Cross has assisted the family with food services.

“They are still in shock, but they are doing ok,” Scateni said. 

Scateni said the family had renter’s insurance and therefore the costs of the damages already have been covered. 

Battery near South Campus

A drunk man was the victim of an attack in his apartment near the south end of the UW campus Thursday evening, a Madison Police Report said.

According to the report, a 29-year-old man living on Braxton Place near Park St. called police with varying stories after he said someone entered his apartment to take his prescription drugs.

The man’s story began to change when he said the friend with whom he was drinking punched him and fled with the drugs. The victim was taken to the hospital with an injured forehead for precautionary reasons and later entered the detox unit, the report said.

Park Street Robberies

Police are searching for a 20-to-30-year-old man in connection with a string of robberies on South Park St. Thursday afternoon.

A MPD report said police are in pursuit of a black man with a heavy build, sweater and dark jeans who victims say punched two middle-aged male victims and stole a wallet, cell phone and candy from a Clark gas station on Park St. All three incidents were centered around Park Street; one man went to the hospital as a result of the robbery spree and the suspect punched another man as he exited a Madison Metro bus, the report said. 

Police say anyone with information should call Crime Stoppers at 608-266-6014.