Dane County budget debate continues

As Dane County officials have begun preparations to introduce the county’s 2011 budget, multiple organizations have made special requests prior to its release.

Specific county agencies have expressed their plans for spending in 2011, including the Dane County Sheriff’s Department and the Dane County Lakes and Watershed Commission.

The Sheriff’s Department has asked for federal Community Operating Policing Services grants from the U.S. Department of Justice in order to increase forces and put officers in locations such as Deerfield High School.

Since the grants have not yet been awarded, it remains to be seen whether the Dane County budget will allow funding for extra officers if the Sheriff’s Department does not get the grant it needs.

“It is still to be decided,” said Josh Wescott, spokesperson for Dane County Executive Kathleen Falk.

The Dane County Lakes and Watershed Commission also noted the effect of the recession on the county and how they would react to it in their plans for spending in 2011.

DWLWC Chair Melissa Malott said in a statement released this August that the recession has had a pronounced negative effect on the value of property in Dane County. Tough economic times cause higher property taxes on lower valued properties, to the frustration of citizens, she said in the statement.

“During these challenging economic times, it’s especially important to make strategic budget decisions and use public resources efficiently to protect and improve our lakes and streams,” Malott said in the statement.

Using operational budget money, the Commission hopes to create new positions to manage earlier aquatic plant harvesting and monitor boat landings.

Dane County Executive Kathleen Falk said in a statement there is a need to find a balance between raising taxes and providing necessary services to citizens.

This will be Falk’s fourteenth budget. The Executive Budget will be presented Oct. 1.

Wescott said while the property tax hits hard, Falk would try to craft a responsible budget.

He emphasized the presence of human services and public safety as priorities that occupy around 75 percent of the budget. These services help children, seniors and the disabled, Wescott said.

Two specific public hearings have already taken place to address the issues of human services, which is half of the total budget.

Wescott said he hopes the budget will reflect the values of Dane County citizens.

The budget is still in its development phase.

Two other public hearings have been set as well, one for the County Executive and another on Monday for the County Board department heads. The county departments have the opportunity to compile spending requests for consideration by the County Executive.

“There have been many, many meetings and there will be many, many more”, Wescott said.

University of Wisconsin Senior and County Board Supervisor Analiese Eicher, who will vote on the budget later this year, said she had read the proposed budgets from the various county departments and also the cuts proposed by Falk.

“I’m looking forward to seeing what the County Executive proposes,” Eicher said. “But the process is far from over.”