City Council alters alcohol license density ordinance

CommonCouncil_BB
The mood is light as City Council members question Michael May, Madison\’s city attorney, on the legality of proposed ALDO changes and the library site.[/media-credit]

City Council approved two separate items Tuesday evening, removing a 365-day limit from a portion of the city’s Alcohol License Density Ordinance and pursuing the building of a new Central Library at the current West Mifflin Street location.

The 365-day limit stipulates a vacated establishment previously holding an alcohol license may be filled by another alcohol establishment no more than one year after the initial vacation.

Business Improvement District Executive Director Mary Carbine said the ordinance works against economic development downtown by forcing property owners to require tenants to operate as bars or having to rely on tenants who are not fully vetted as a reliable and financially viable business simply to fill the space.

Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, who represents much of the downtown area and serves on the Alcohol License Review Committee, agreed with Carbine’s position.

“I think that we deserve to reward our downtown landlords for doing their due diligence and finding the right tenant,” Verveer said.

Given the current economic climate, he added, property owners should be given greater means to find suitable tenants to contribute to the downtown.

The resolution passed with minimal opposition at a margin of 18-1.

City Council also passed a resolution supporting the rebuilding of the Madison Central Library.

Previous plans for the project entailed the city of Madison working in conjunction with developer Fiore Cos. to construct a new library near East Washington Avenue. After negotiations broke down in recent months, a plan to push forward with reconstruction on the current site was put forth.

Library Board President Tripp Widder said although he too shared the disappointment of many alders and city staff regarding the breakdown of negotiations, action must be taken quickly to ensure an affordable construction and design process.

He emphasized the new library could be built and operated for less, as the project currently is slated to have three floors rather than six, built sooner with the existing foundation, have a larger total square footage and be overall better than the Fiore plan.

Many alders present voiced their concern over the lack of communication during the planning phases of the new project. Ald. Mike Schumacher, District 18, said the input of City Council is and should continue to be an integral part of projects of this magnitude.

Although initial concerns and opposition were strong, most warmed to the idea of continuing on the course of building a new library.

“I may not be as enthusiastic as some… but I’ve also said that I have no doubt that the rehab of the current site will be a beautiful, state-of-the-art building,” Ald. Bryon Eagon, District 8, said.

Madison resident Stuart Levitan, speaking in support of the resolution, had his own unique, yet not entirely original take on the matter.

“You can’t always get what you want,” Levitan said. “But if you try sometimes, you just might find you get what you need.”

The resolution was approved with only one vote in opposition.