City finalizes Mifflin plans

MifflinMeeting_MM
Officials from the Madison Police Department and Madison Fire Department talk about safety requirements and possible fines students can receive if they are not careful at Saturday\’s Mifflin Block Party. Although few students were there, one present praised the police for being more lax and allowing students to party.[/media-credit]

Mifflin Street Block Party organizers, neighborhood residents and city staff addressed concerns Tuesday evening regarding expectations for the upcoming event.

Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, said he was surprised by the low turnout, but added he hoped that meant there were fewer concerns by residents of the Mifflin neighborhood.

This will be the second year of event sponsorship by organizers DCNY-PRO. Among the changes for this year’s event are additional music stages, organized vending and the addition of a beer garden.

“We are providing music for the Bassett and Mifflin stages. We’ll have seven acts. It’s a good mix of music. We’ll have some electronic DJs, some soul and funk, some hip-hop and some pop. Lots of dancing music,” WSUM Station Manager Maggie Brennan said.

Safety and behavior concerns were the focus of much of the meeting.

Madison Fire Department Assistant Chief Gregg Knudtson advised attendees to maintain an awareness of their homes’ capacities. Balconies were a major concern as a block party attendee fell in 2003. MFD inspectors will be patrolling Mifflin Street Saturday to ensure balconies are not overcrowded, he added.

“We want to see everyone go home at the end of the day with no troubles,” Knudtson said.

He added inspectors will seek cooperation with those hosting house parties, but if compliance is not established, other agencies including the Madison Police Department will get involved.

Sgt. Tony Fiore of the MPD Central District Community Policing Team offered a number of tips to those present as to how best to provide for a safe environment and successful event.

Among the advice given was to control the access to cases and kegs, to keep noise at an acceptable level and to avoid having crowds in front of houses. He reminded those present that dispensing alcohol and procuring alcohol to minors brings significant fines, $681 and $366 respectively, according to information provided by MPD.

“We understand people are going to be hosting friends. What we ask is that they keep those events to small social gatherings among friends and not let them get out of control,” Fiore said. “It’s often not through any fault of their own that these can get out of hand, but we ask that they take some steps to avoid that.”

He added since the relatively new sponsorship of the event, a lot of pressure has been taken off of police officers who previously have been the de facto event organizers. This freeing up of police resources has allowed for a more flexible enforcement.

One resident present at the meeting commended police on their relaxed attitude in distributing citations, noting the departure from the “ball-busting” of previous years.

MPD Central District Capt. Mary Schauf said improved behavior by attendees has given police more leeway and discretion in their enforcement conduct. She added police seek to create an atmosphere of “mutual respect” during the event.

The event is scheduled for Saturday. Music and beer garden service will begin at noon, with festivities ending between 6:00 p.m. and 9:00 p.m.