Would-be guest allegedly assaults 3 partygoers

After being turned away from a house party early Saturday morning, a disgruntled would-be guest allegedly took out his frustrations on three fellow partygoers.

At approximately 1:00 a.m., Jack Ryan, 18, of Milwaukee, was told to leave a party on Spring Street, an incident report from the Madison Police Department said.

“My understanding is whoever was having this party didn’t allow the suspect in,” MPD spokesperson Joel DeSpain said. “I think this just boils down to a guy getting angry about not being let into a party and taking it out on some individuals who did.”

The suspect allegedly tapped on the shoulder of a 21-year-old Madison man as he left the party. As the man turned to see who it was, the suspect punched the man in the face several times, leaving him with a bloody nose.

A 20-year-old Madison woman who was with the first victim began to yell for the suspect to stop, the report said. The suspect responded by allegedly striking her several times in the head.

A third victim also yelled at the assailant and was said to have been tackled and punched in the head by the suspect.

After fleeing the area, the suspect was seen by responding officers and continued to flee. The suspect led MPD officers to the nearby bike path before University of Wisconsin Police Department officers were able to assist MPD in apprehending the suspect near Regent Street.

DeSpain said the suspect was found to have a blood alcohol content of .175 and was tentatively charged with three counts of battery and resisting an officer.

Ald. Bryon Eagon, District 8, represents the area in which the crime took place.

“I lived on Spring Street my sophomore year so I have some experience in the environment there,” Eagon said. “I don’t think this is the norm by any means.”

He added individuals need to maintain a sense of safety and awareness when out on the weekends, especially if alcohol is involved. The victims in this case, he said, did the right thing in contacting police promptly.