Edgewater approved by Plan Commission

Supporters of the redevelopment of the Edgewater Hotel were once again successful after the city’s Plan Commission approved the newest plans for the historic hotel.

In a meeting lasting until nearly 2 a.m. Tuesday, the commission approved, with only two dissenting votes, the revised Edgewater plans, which include further underground parking and a terrace that would be leased to the city to be used as a public space.

The commission deliberated for hours, going through two initial motions to refer the proposal or force the developers to shave two stories off of a proposed eight-story tower. Both motions were defeated.

The meeting attracted dozens of public testimonies both in support of and opposed to the redevelopment, with 67 Madison residents filing in support for the project and 11 filing in opposition.

Representatives from Hammes Co., the company hoping to redevelop the hotel, emphasized what they said was the city staff’s support for changing the zoning of the Edgewater site from its current zoning as a historic site to a Planned Unit Development.

Hammes Co. President Bob Dunn told the commission the space that would become a lakefront terrace if the redevelopment is approved would be a 365-day public facility.

“At any point in time that events are occurring on the terrace, we have always maintained the prime, waterfront real estate as space that is open to the public,” Dunn said.

Public comment regarding the project was more diverse than past meetings, with more supporters of the project speaking to the commission than at past meetings of the Plan and Urban Design Commissions.

Steve Brown, the prominent Madison property manager who owns Steve Brown Apartments, told the commission he supports the project because of its appeal to University of Wisconsin students who he said need more public spaces and the fact that it could boost property values in the Mansion Hill neighborhood.

“As one of the largest property owners and taxpayers in this neighborhood, I see tremendous benefits from this project,” Brown said. “We’re fortunate to have someone who wants to spend money making an investment in this property which is deteriorating.”

Gene Devitt of Capitol Neighborhoods, Inc. told the commission approximately 1,300 cars will pass area homes if the proposal as it stands today is ultimately approved. He illuminated the commission with light from a large, high-power lamp to illustrate the light pollution he thinks could be caused by the increased traffic in the area.

Devitt also said he was frustrated by what he saw as a lack of communication among the neighborhood, city officials and the redevelopers.

“I don’t understand why the neighborhood hasn’t been invited to work on this project with the Hammes Company, with the city attorney and with our alderperson,” Devitt said.

In addition to the approved Edgewater plan, the commission also unanimously approved the proposal to tear down the current Gordon Commons and reconstruct it at the site of the former Ogg Hall.