School of Education Dean hopes to make UW “model research university”

School of Education Dean hopes to make UW model research university
Bryce Richter

In the second of four final provost candidate presentations, University of Wisconsin School of Education Dean Julie Underwood spoke in Grainger Hall Tuesday to a group of faculty and students of her plans to make UW the “model research university for the 21st century.”

Underwood said in her talk she thinks now is an exciting yet challenging time to be in education, as rapid technological developments are providing new opportunities for students and faculty.

Underwood has already had some experience in the office of the provost, as she once served as the interim provost from January to July 2009.

She said her love for Wisconsin stems from her shared values with the university.

“It’s absolutely no secret that I love this place,” Underwood said. “I love this place not just because it’s an incredible campus, got [sic] great athletics, great camaraderie, but I love this place because I share its values.”

While working in Washington D.C. as associate executive director and general counsel to the National School Boards Association, Underwood orchestrated legal services for various school boards in both national and federal supreme court cases.

Underwood said her job on the Hill is one that some professionals choose to end their careers on. However, she decided to continue on to Madison. 

“When I had the opportunity to return to Bascom Hill rather than Capitol Hill, I chose here,” Underwood said.

The UW potential provost speaking series will continue on Wednesday in 1310 Grainger Hall at 10:30 a.m. with candidate Sarah Mangelsdorf, the dean of the Weinberg College of Arts and Sciences at Northwestern University.

[Photo via Bryce Richter/UW Communications]