WISPIRG eligible for seg fee funding

Members of student government debated the eligibility of a previously denied student organization, eventually granting eligibility to both it and a tutoring group during a meeting Thursday night.

In a vote of seven ayes to five nays, Student Services Finance Committee members decided Wisconsin Public Interest Research Group was eligible for funding this year.

Despite some opposition, SSFC Chair Sarah Neibart made an executive decision to allow members who had previously lobbied with WISPIRG to vote.

SSFC representatives questioned WISPIRG representative Matt Kozlowski on some concerns before making a final decision on the organization’s eligibility.

Representative Riaan Roux said he wanted more concrete information regarding direct services provided by WISPIRG.

After the final decisions, Kozlowski said his organization was happy about the decision and the group’s eligibility. He added this would benefit the organization and the services it provides to students.

“We are excited to go back to what we’ve been doing and give back to the student body,” Kozlowski said.

Last year WISPIRG did not receive funding. According to Kozlowski, nothing has changed about their overall organization from last year to this year.

SSFC members also decided Greater University Tutoring Services was eligible for funding, with a general consensus that it’s services are important as it is the only tutoring service providing higher-level tutoring for students not necessarily living on campus.

In open forum, Multicultural Student Coalition presented another program, Theatre of the Oppressed, they would use money from a previously proposed budget on.

Having turned in a waiver form after the requested deadline, this original $1.27 million budget was automatically declined and the organization must craft a new budget of $250,000.

Theatre of the Oppressed is a program invented by Augusto Boal in Brazil, Representative Nneka Akubeze said, which represents people that are oppressed theatrically.

Audience members are given the chance to become “spec-actors” meaning they can join in on the theatrical scene at any time and alter it, according to Akubeze.

Akubeze, along with other MCSC members, presented an example scene to SSFC and allowed members to participate.

These participating members included Neibart and Representatives Tia Nowack, Joe Vanden Avond and Laura Checovich.

After the conclusion of the scene, representatives from SSFC asked Akubeze various questions regarding the program.

Representative Nowack asked Akubeze what organizations on campus could benefit from this program and what would happen should the MCSC budget be decreased.

Akubeze said the Intercultural Dialogues, University Housing and various other individual groups request Theatre of the Oppressed services.

She added the techniques MCSC teaches during the program get retaught at other events, expanding its impact.

Akubeze explained that members of the MCSC would need to attend a Theatre of the Oppressed conference in order to prepare for the impromptu set-up characteristic of the program.

“A smaller budget would mean less high quality and less of them in general,” said Akubeze in regard to the possibility of decreased funding for these theatrical events.

Discussion of the Process Standardization Committee legislation introduced during Wednesday night’s Associated Students of Madison meeting was postponed until Monday, Oct 10.