State Street hotel receives go ahead from Plan Commission

With several residents, business owners showing their support, demolition of four buildings on State Street was approved
Grady Gibson

Madison Plan Commission voted Monday in favor of demolishing four buildings at the intersection of North Carroll Street, State Street and West Mifflin Street to construct a nine story hotel.

The $43 million building building is planned to be nine stories high, have 133 rooms, a restaurant, a cafe and an open rooftop. It will be run by Provenance Hotels, a company based in Portland, Oregon, According to the Wisconsin State Journal.

The hotel has faced much contention from the city staff over height regulations, as the proposed design is nine stories while the regulation has a six story limit, according to WSJ.

Despite the six story limit, the Madison Plan Commission went ahead with the proposal.

Twenty-four business owners and residents of the area alike chimed in to show their support for a new hotel.

https://badgerherald.com/news/2017/11/14/city-council-approves-2018-executive-operating-budgets/

Michelangelo’s Coffee House, one of the buildings with its back end facing the cul-de-sac would be affected by the new hotel. But owner of Michelangelo’s Sam Chehade said it would be good for the city.

“I think it will be good for the block, it will be good for the downtown,” Chehade said. “It’s a win-win situation.” 

Additionally, with an increase in crime in the area at the end of State Street, many cited that a hotel in that location would be the positive action needed to reduce the danger in the area.

Only community member voiced their concerns, citing that the height of the proposed hotel is above height the six story height limit.

https://badgerherald.com/news/2017/09/19/city-council-discusses-programs-to-serve-marginalized-communities-in-madison/

Despite not usually “disagreeing with the staff’s recommendations,” Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, where the hotel would reside, took a position of support as well. Verveer cited that the location was “perfect,” and would help remedy the open air drug dealing and violence in the area.

“I want to make this work, I really think we need to make this work,” Verveer said. “As the saying goes, desperate times deserve desperate measures.”

Ald. Ledell Zellers, District 2, was the only commission member to not approve of the movement, citing concerns about the parking situation and safety.

The proposal now moves to City Council, who will consider zoning changes in a Sept. 25 meeting. If approved, construction for the hotel will begin in Spring 2019 and continue into Fall 2020.

“I want to ask you to think twice and realize that the top of State Street needs a tremendous shot in the arm,” Verveer said. “I believe that State Street will get a shot in the arm if this proposal is approved.”