Seven new police recruits, Midtown station plans added to city operating budget

Amendments added $185,000 to operating budget
Maija Inveiss

The Board of Estimates approved the 2017 operating budget and controversial Midtown Police Station operating expenses after numerous amendment deliberations Monday night.

Throughout this year’s budget process, one of the main focuses is the creation of a Midtown Police Station for the Madison Police Department.

Mayor Paul Soglin did not originally include the new station in either the 2017 executive capital budget or the operating budget. The approved capital budget included funding for the station so it could be completed by July 2018.

Mayor Soglin still hesitant on contentious Midtown police station

The committee approved allotting funds to an additional seven police recruits in the fall recruitment class, who will replace the seven officers transferring to the Midtown Station.

Soglin said the area that benefits from the station is the “least in need of additional law enforcement.”

The new station would be located on Mineral Point Road, in a property purchased by the city in 2014.

The amendment added $209,840 to the operating budget. Once fully operational, the anticipated ongoing operating cost of the station is $927,300.

Besides the seven recruits added, another amendment included adding three additional positions: a detective sergeant to supervise a new evening shift of detectives, a sergeant to supervise the Mental Health Unit and a patrol sergeant.

Ald. Paul Skidmore, District 9, a co-sponsor of the amendment, said it was an oversight that this was not included earlier. He said the positions would help to assist in certain crime areas.

Assistant Chief Susan Williams said the mental health sergeant would specifically be in charge of the five-person mental health unit. She said they currently do not have a direct chair or immediate supervisor.

“This supervisor is strongly needed. It is the only unit in the entire department where officers report to a captain,” Williams said. “This is something we’ve had on our long range of plans and it needs to be done sooner than later.”

Committee hears advocacy groups’ input on MPD handling of mental health

Williams also said the mental health sergeant would work with the 20 mental health liaison officers.

The Board of Estimates ultimately did not decide to pass the amendment.

All together the committee added an additional $185,000 to the budget in comparison with the executive budget.

The 2017 Operating Budget will go to City Council Nov. 1, where the council will ultimately be able to create their own amendments.