SSFC approves F.H. King budget, listens to Student Leadership Program proposal

Committee also introduced new freshman members
Anne Blackbourn

Student Services Financial Committee held a short meeting Thursday night to approve F.H. King Students for Sustainable Agriculture’s budget and listened to Student Leadership Program’s budget proposal.

F.H. King Students for Sustainable Agriculture

SSFC approved of F.H. King’s after little debate, after deeming the organization’s budget as succinct and clear.

SSFC Vice Chair Brett DuCharme questioned the 10 extra hours F.H. King budgeted into their summer hours. DuCharme said all other organizations usually have 20 hours per week, F.H King budgeted 30 hours per week.

But Rep. Erin Harper said the extra hours were necessary as the gardens F.H. King members work on needed a lot of attention and upkeep.

SSFC debates Campus Women’s Center budget details

Rep. Kyle Watter agreed with Harper and even commended F.H. King for the tight budgeting of their funds.

F.H. King’s proposed budget of $81,300.50 was passed with a vote of 10-0 with 1 abstention.

Student Leadership Program Budget Hearing

Student Leadership Program also presented their budget proposal Thursday.

The program’s mission is to develop effective and essential leadership skills in students and student groups through comprehensive leadership, education and diverse experiences, Morgan Walcheck, internal affairs and development coordinator, said.

With only four paid positions, SLP is almost entirely composed of volunteers. These volunteers help run a series of committees, Jarod Coyer, leadership events and training coordinator said. Each of these committees help manage and maintain the organization’s events.

Several new additions to SLP, which led to an increased budget proposal, include a marking team whose focus is on a new training process for members as well as member retention, Mick Ryan, organization outreach coordinator, said.

Another increase in SLP’s budget was to the Big Ten Leadership Network conference. The conference is a requirement for all SLP members to attend, Walcheck said.

But the conference is considered important, Walcheck said. It provides a huge opportunity for members attending to learn about leadership and bring back what they learned to campus.

SSFC wrapped up their meeting with a brief conversation about the Associated Students of Madison’s internal budget and introduction of two new freshman SSFC representatives.

SSFC will make a decision about SLP’s proposed budget at their next meeting Monday.