Rain or shine: Community rallies in support of sexual assault victim

Demonstrators marched along capital bike path
Teymour Tomsyck

Hundreds of community members marched from Burr Jones Field to Central Park Thursday evening, Sept. 17, to protest “rape culture” and support the victim of a recent sexual assault.

The march included speeches from an alder, feminist organization leaders and female self-defense instructors.

Demonstrators supporting the victim of a vicious sexual assault which occurred last week began moving along the bike path at 7:30 p.m., despite light rain which grew into a torrential downpour. Due to the rain, the crowd shrank to roughly 100 by the end of the march.

The crowd was a diverse mix of students, families and young professionals. Many wielded signs and banners supporting the sexual assault victim.

MPD holds news conference to promote public awareness, seek information on bike path assault

The march was organized by Dayna Long, who was aided by Young, Gifted and Black, the Marquette Neighborhood Association and the International Socialist Organization.

YGB members marched holding a sign advocating for the community control of the police.

Upon arriving at Central Park, a choreographed dance routine greeted remaining demonstrators, followed by speakers.

https://twitter.com/Teymoreorless/status/644670188588277760

Ald. Amanda Hall, District 3, spoke about her experience as a self-defense instructor for women and about the problem of women feeling they have to take preventative measures to be safe.

“I have the right to be safe in my city,” Hall said.

Sophie Bell, the University of Wisconsin chapter of Promoting Awareness Victim Empowerment chair, talked about her group’s goal of preventing sexual assaults.

Bell said simply lighting up the bike path would not solve the issue of sexual assault. Instead, the culture of sexual violence must change.

She said education and awareness about sexual assault are powerful tools in combating the issue. She also criticized UW for not doing more to deal with sexual assault.

“The University of Wisconsin has to step up its game,” Bell said. “I should not hear survivors telling me that they feel bullied by the institution.”

https://twitter.com/Teymoreorless/status/644680637153157120

Long urged people to take a more active role in preventing a sexual assault. Specifically, she talked about taking initiative when a fight between partners looks to be getting out of hand or when someone is cat-called.

Ali Treviño-Murphy, a martial arts instructor, spoke about empowering women to defend themselves. She encouraged all women to take courses to ensure they are not defenseless.

Treviño-Murphy also spoke about her discontent with the way women are taught to be pliant, while men are taught to defend themselves at an early age.

“I am sick of this bullshit,” Treviño-Murphy said.