MPD seeks suspect after student attacked on campus, see possible link to previous attacks

A female University of Wisconsin student was attacked while walking home from a late night of studying early this morning.

The 19-year-old student was allegedly knocked down and punched several times near the corner of North Carroll Street and Langdon Street, according to a Madison Police Department report.

The attack occurred around 4 a.m. and the victim sustained injuries to her face after the male suspect, who is being described as possibly Hispanic, 5’7″ with a medium build and in his 20s with a short black buzz cut and cleanly shaven, threw the punches, the report said.

The attack stopped after a car drove past and the victim screamed, potentially chasing away the suspect, the report said.

The incident mirrors two other attacks that struck the campus area during the summer, Ald. Scott Resnick, District 8, said.

“The description that was given is very, very close to two incidents that also happened in July when women who were also college-aged and walking alone at night were attacked,” Resnick said. “MPD does believe there could be a potential link between these attacks.”

At least one of the previous incidents occurred on Babcock Drive, and similar descriptions of the attack itself and the suspect were given, Resnick said.

MPD has compiled a more thorough description of the suspect from all of the victims, Resnick said. He urged the public to keep an eye out based on the information that has been provided.

Resnick said students should take advantage of the extended SAFEride hours available during the finals period. Students can utilize the free cab service until 6 a.m. this week.

“It’s again being diligent – walking in groups and traveling on some of the major [roads] like taking State Street and Park Street versus using a side road late at night,” Resnick said. “Right now it’s really a combination of working with MPD and other stakeholders to obviously catch this person, but also urging preventative measures like SAFEride.”