Students continue tsunami relief planning

The University of Wisconsin continues tsunami relief efforts as student organizations met Wednesday night to discuss future fundraising events.

Representatives from groups including the International Student Volunteers, Wisconsin International Students Association and Student Action for Indian Volunteers Aid brought ideas to raise more money and continue awareness of tsunami relief efforts at UW.

Attendees of the meeting brainstormed several events including concerts, dances, date auctions and a sports tournament in the spring.

A concert sponsored by Wisconsin Union Directorate Community Service planned for Feb. 17 will feature popular UW performance groups like the MadHatters and the UW Comedy Improv Troupe at Mills Concert Hall.

While the details of ticket prices and funds are still in the works, the event hopes to raise donations and educate people on the effects of the tsunami.

Money raised by the concert will likely be sent to the International Medical Corps, Mercy Corps for the South-East Earthquake or the American Red Cross.

The Wisconsin International Student Organization is hoping to raise money for tsunami relief at its Intercultural Night in April. In the past, the event has drawn around 800 people to Memorial Union.

Ryan Burbach and Kelly Stack, both UW sophomores from AIESEC, proposed a sports tournament near the end of the semester to raise money for tsunami relief. The meeting dealt with distributing the responsibilities of the tournaments to each of the organizations present.

AIESEC is an organization that aims to develop global volunteers and coordinates student-exchange programs abroad.

Burbach said he interned with AIESEC while teaching English in Thailand, one of the countries devastated by the tsunami.

“As thought of the tsunami sadly dwindles with time, this event will be good for raising money to continue to help relief,” Burbach said.

The Indonesian Student Association hopes to host a candlelight vigil honoring those who have died as a result of the tsunami.

UW sophomore Annie Hernandez, who is a member of the International Student Volunteers, said she remembers hearing about the tsunami for the first time while studying abroad in London.

“In England, a lot more people go [to Southeast Asia] for vacation, which means a lot more people were hit close to home,” Hernandez said. “It was very interesting to see it from a different light.”

Vibna Sanghvi and Anit Roy, two UW students who work for the Student Association for Indian Volunteers Aid, said that being a part of an organization encouraged them to help in the tsunami relief.

“[As] a part of an organization with all these resources at hand, we felt it was our place to make an impact — otherwise these resource would be wasted,” Sanghvi said.

Follow-up meetings are scheduled for the next couple weeks to finalize plans for future events.