Hitlist: Fierce indie pop queens for your listening pleasure

Get on your dancing shoes with these under-the-radar gals
Courtesy of Youtube user The Ting Tings

Continuing from last week’s theme of celebrating women who rock, this week’s playlist features some of the most amazing ladies of indie music who make music — even without a major record deal.

These women all deserve to be Beyoncés, but they are instead making music under the radar. Huge record labels, however, sometimes can restrict artists too much — so perhaps it’s a blessing these women have been allowed to express themselves so freely.

Hitlist: March on for women’s history month with women who rock

Under-appreciated artist Kitty starts off the playlist with a track off her stunning 2014 Frostbite EP. After a successful Kickstarter campaign last year, she was able to fund the recording of her forthcoming debut album. Check her out!

The playlist also includes other indie pop darlings such as Grimes, Karen O and Kimbra, who broke into the mainstream with Gotye on his mega-hit “Somebody I Used to Know” in 2012. Still, her own brand of off-kilter pop music has yet to be fully appreciated by the public, as it should.

This playlist proves there is pop music out there that exists outside of the confines of mainstream radio — you just have to do a bit of digging.