Doomtree embraces individual voices with political, hard-hitting rap

Minneapolis collective brought incredible energy to Barrymore Saturday night
Doomtree.
Daniel Chinitz
Doomtree.

It was a cult-like experience at the Barrymore this past Saturday when Doomtree had the whole crowd chanting their lyrics.

The Minneapolis hard-hitters had been on the road for just under a year, and everything came full circle here in Madison as they performed their last show of the tour.

Doomtree to play Barrymore with politically conscious, enthusiastic performance

The collective was out promoting their latest project All Hands — a fierce, politically-conscious album that can get just about anyone bumping to its beats.

All with ridiculous amounts of energy, seven people were jumping around the stage Saturday: P.O.S, Sims, Cecil Otter, Lazerbeak, Mike Mictlan, Paper Tiger and Dessa. Every member had his or her own personal inflections, and everyone played their own complementary role.

How each member had his or her own unique style was almost comparable to Wu-Tang Clan, and most notable is the parallel to Ol’ Dirty Bastard — Dessa.

The female emcee had probably the least amount of verses, but easily the most applause before and after her front-and-center moments. Dessa hit her verses with the most precision, but it did not stop there. She also provided vocals for the group and holy cow, can this girl sing.

Never missing a note, Dessa blew the crowd away performing her solo work “Seamstress.”

Doomtree kept the bangers flowing with their work such as “Final Boss,” “Gray Duck” and their encore of “Bangarang.” The energy maintained itself all the way through the show, especially when things got a little political. Specifically, Mitclan’s segment on guns and violence could have scared anyone straight.

Madison’s WORT 89.9 celebrates 40 years of bringing ‘greater good’ to airwaves

The show’s true anomaly, however, was the crowd. The concert was one of those cultish-performances where just about everyone in the crowd knew all the lines. Their devoted fan base was the icing on the cake in terms of the show’s overall energy.

Doomtree knew how to keep the crowd moving. Hopefully the collective gets back for an even bigger tour down the road — Madison could use another visit.