Madlib attempts to reconcile polarizing styles on latest collaborative effort

On ‘Bad Neighbor,’ SoCal rappers Blu, MED add distinct rhymes that sometimes hit, sometimes miss
Bad+Neighbor.+
Coverart courtesy of BangYaHead
Bad Neighbor.

Bad Neighbor is the latest from innovative West Coast producer Madlibs collaborative efforts with emcees.

In this installation, perennially underground SoCal rappers Blu and MED add their rhymes to Madlibs rhythms to construct this interesting, yet divided album. This dividedness is key to the album, as there is a notable difference between both MED and Blus styles, and also the production Madlib provides.

EL VY’s ‘Return to the Moon’ showcases Matt Berninger’s emotional baritone in new light

On one side, there are songs like Serving,” “Peroxide,” “Get Moneyand Birds,which feature the percussion-dominated and minimally funky beats reminiscent of Madlibs most notable effort and underground classic, Madvillainy.

On these tracks, it is MEDs dark, disgruntled and incisive style that shine, whereas Blu seems uncomfortable trying to convert his normally upbeat, joking style to the griminess of the beat.  

On the second half of the album, however, songs Drive In,” “Belly Fulland The Buzz” feature Madlibs catchy — and at times poppy — production, which more closely resemble his most recent album Piñata. It is these tracks in which Blu regains his confidence and is able to get comfortable with the beat and take it, along with its listener, for a ride, whereas MED is solid but not significant.

It seems no coincidence this album resembles two of Madlibs most notable, and most distinct albums. It is perhaps an attempt by the producer to reconcile his two styles into an album that is greater than the sum of its parts.

This effort, however, falls short for two reasons. The first is emcee selection, as neither MED nor Blu can match the efforts put forth by Madvillanys MF DOOM or Piñatas Freddie Gibbs. Neither is as heady or clever as prime DOOM, nor as grounded or free-flowing as Freddie Gibbs.

Young Thug’s latest mixtape showcases his ingenuity, but might get a bit too creative

This would not be a problem if Madlib consistently provided beats that combine the albums oppositional natures. But in Bad Neighbor, he seems content to gradually segue from one style to another.

As a result, the best efforts of the album come in its middle, where the two styles blend, and both rappers are able to find an aspect of the beat that suits their style. 

The Stripis the best track on the album as Anderson .Paak continues his breakout year by delivering an infectious hook, and both rappers are in their zones on the catchy, unconventional beat.  

Burgundy Whipprovides the shortest, but most interesting song, as Madlib and Jimetta Roses hook create a ’70s vibe, while both rappers are able to dig into it and provide the classic beat with modern lyricism.

Wild Child’s strong emotions leave only smiles on Majestic crowd’s faces

In the end, what makes this album fall short of being truly great is its lack of cohesiveness. While the middle of the album is incredible, its bookends leave the listener feeling polarized.

This is a solid effort overall, and the fact that Madlib is attempting to mix these styles is something that should make every underground rap fan very excited.

4/5