Freakfest’s smaller acts sure to please with all bases covered

From the basement pop of Modern Mod to activism of CRASHPrez, smaller acts of Freakfest offer array of sounds for concert-goers
Photo courtesy of Cameron Van Buren
CRASHprez performing at Play Circle

Trap Saturn:

If putting in a hard night of grooves at Freakfest sparks your interest, make sure to check out Trap Saturn at the WSUM/Ian’s stage. Disco might be dead, but these guys and gal must not have gotten the memo — they’re certainly keeping the ‘70s alive with their groove. Pre-gaming a little earlier might not be a bad idea if this act is on your list.

ME eN YOU:

Arguably the sleekest band performing this year at Freakfest, ME eN YOU is a promising performance comprised of some super cool jam/funk/hip-hop fusion. They sound as if Chance the Rapper and The Social Experiment added a New Orleans funk aspect to their jams. If that doesn’t sound appealing, just stick to the stage by the Capitol. ME eN YOU is this year’s Freakfest band to pay attention to for those who appreciate pure, sophisticated musicality.

Modern Mod:

For those stoked by American Authors at last year’s festivities, Modern Mod will carry the torch this year. They take on the aura of a pop band that might have been cool eight years ago, but even that is a stretch. Modern Mod is an opener for Timeflies at the Mountain Dew stage, so if seeing the electro-pop duo is a priority, some combat boots and a few extra shots might be necessary.

The O’My’s:

Finally, a semi-recognizable group outside of the headliners is gracing the late October night. Up-and-coming Chicago musicians The O’My’s are bringing their original jazz/soul sound to the WSUM/Ian’s stage. Receiving the attention of Donnie Trumpet and Mick Jenkins, these guys are moving up the musical ladder with a similar approach to that of BADBADNOTGOOD’s with their Ghostface Killah collaboration. They are likely a name to be heard in the next few years, so go see this band.

The Mascot Theory:

Not much distinguishes this folk-country rock band other than they’re quite similar to The Avett Brothers, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing. If you like folk music, their modern version of it is definitely energetic enough to make for a great live experience. Walking past the Steve Brown Apartments/Star Country Stage could definitely end up being the night’s standout surprise.

GGOOLLDD:

According to GGOOLLDD’s bandcamp, “GGOOLLDD is awesome, if you are into that sort of the thing.” This couldn’t be worded better, because the Milwaukee indie artist is an acquired taste. While it’s an act most will wander in on while waiting for Timeflies and MisterWives, GGOOLLDD will surely be an interesting performance. And if you get the Austin Powers reference, their name is hilarious.

CRASHprez:

If there is a time to get intense at Freakfest, it’ll be during CRASHprez’s set. The Maryland/Wisconsin MC will surely light up the stage with his uncomfortably hot verses. His transient but alluring style may not be for everyone, but if you’re at Freakfest to check out the smaller acts, you might as well see CRASHprez doing what he does best.

The previous version of this article mistakenly cited Modest Mouse in the sub-headline. It has since been changed to Modern Mod. This article was further edited for clarify. The Badger Herald regrets these errors.