Sitting on throne of chart-toppers, Fetty Wap plays it safe on debut album

Lacking ingenuity, the only saving grace for this trap master’s first compilation is his voice
Atlantic

Pop radio hosts and drunk college students rejoice — the guy who yells “1738” and makes bird noises has released a full album.

Fetty Wap’s debut self-titled studio album features 20 trap songs, few of which are easily distinguishable from each other. It seems this romantic rapper, who frequently tells listeners both of his love interests and extravagant spending, is testing the boundaries of “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.”

While nearly each song has strong replay value, the album as a whole lacks a backbone. By the fifth song, listeners might find themselves wondering if they’re still on the first. While it’s wrong to expect a completely groundbreaking project from someone who already had four hit songs before releasing an actual album, one would hope for a little more ingenuity.

Each song features at least some lyrics depicting mindless money spending, marijuana use and general trapping. Every instrumental opening has a slower, suspenseful start and explodes into a full-on trap banger by the first verse (think “Trap Queen”), with only a few exceptions.

“Rewind” gives listeners a nice change of pace — Fetty slows down the tempo and gives actual insight into his seemingly nonexistent soft side, rapping, “I know you’re with him now but soon you will be mine.”

Deeper themes like this can be found throughout the album, save for only a few songs, and they only occur in short spurts.

Another one of these moments appears in the last song, “Whateva,” where Fetty tells an unnamed girl the money he doesn’t spend on pricey liquor and good herb is all hers. He even offers to trade in a two-seater coupe in favor of something larger — presumably to fit a family in it.

It’s odd to hear this type of love song on the album, especially when it’s preceded and followed by more typical trap songs. While he hasn’t yet mastered album production, it’s nice to see that he has at least given variability a try.

Regardless, the real star of the album is Fetty’s voice. The transitions between singing and incoherent mumbling are executed to perfection. But if it weren’t for this idiosyncrasy, the album would have few redeeming qualities.

With a No.1 spot on the Billboard 200, Fetty Wap can’t be too upset with the general reception of his album. But for those seeking new content, look elsewhere. Fetty continues to deliver upbeat, repetitive music to his eager fans.

It’s hard to tell whether his music will continue soaking up praises or eventually bore even his most loyal listeners. Either way, it doesn’t look like Fetty Wap will stop anytime soon.