Disclosure’s latest brings R&B, pop, Lorde to expert production

‘Caracal’ offers multimedia experience, from heavy beats to dystopian four-part music video series
Caracal
PMR / Island
‘Caracal’

If Disclosure’s first album, Settle, gave listeners “the feels,” buckle up for their newest one, CaracalThis LP is even better than their debut, as it mixes several popular artists — Lorde, Sam Smith and The Weeknd — with Disclosure’s unmatched production skills.

It gets listeners ready to take on anything, whether it be a night out or getting pumped to take that test they’ve been studying so hard for.  

Freshman DJ Melvv boasts millions of Soundcloud listens, shows no signs of slowing down

Disclosure is composed of two English brothers, Guy and Howard Lawrence. Caracal, released Sept. 25, takes the duo another step further in their still growing careers. They started out with a few background EPs until they released their debut album Settle. It was a mega success, propelled by hit song “Latch” with Sam Smith. Now there’s Caracal; an extension of their success and enthralling electronic sound.

Settle featured a lot of songs with the classic dance sound, including heavy bass and patterned beats. But Caracal ties in a lot of different aspects, like R&B and pop. The brothers have branched out further from the normal two-step beats, but they haven’t disappeared; they are still there under layers of synth, as demonstrated in “Omen.”

The lyrics are a big contributor to the success of the album. Tracks speak of falling in love, embracing the point of no return and loneliness. Co-written by Jimmy Napes, as well as Gregory Porter and Sam Smith, the lyrics really put the album together. 

“The songwriting is the most important thing for us,” Howard Lawrence said in an interview with Rolling Stone. “I feel a lot of dance acts lack the cohesiveness that we can get.” 

Nae Nae? More like no-no: Overplayed songs to swap at your next party

Disclosure has even breached another medium in order to mix up their sound. Instead of standard music videos, they’ve created a short film, also called “Caracal.” Though still unfinished, this project presents four music videos that have a connected storyline. So far, we know that it’s about a girl named Mariela who leads some sort of rebellion. 

The first addition actually features Porter, one of their key lyricists.

Caracal has been an outlet for Disclosure to display the entirety of their talents. Their existing production skills have been enhanced by other aspects, including lyricism, featured artists and multimedia.

And if local listeners want to get even closer to the English brothers, they are coming to the Alliant Energy Center Oct. 14.

4.2/5