Nae Nae? More like no-no: Overplayed songs to swap at your next party

Wait until you get to our last suggestion.

Fraternity bros, amateur iPod DJs and drunk partygoers hovering over the speakers: Play a new song.

We’ve all been there — it’s two in the morning, and after drinking around nine red solos of flat Natty Ice, it seems like a great idea to put on Ne-Yo’s “She Knows” again. Everyone knows the words, people shake their butts to it and it’s simply a damn good song.

But, no one likes a one-trick pony. While it might be easy to throw on a Spotify playlist, aspiring disc jockeys looking for regulars should take heed.

Swap out the following recycled songs for something fresher.

Overplayed song #1: Watch Me (Whip/Nae Nae) – Silentó

Everyone thinks they know the “Whip” and the “Nae Nae.” But, only about one in 300 people look good doing it, and even that figure is distorted when alcohol is involved.

It may be fun to let loose and dance like no one’s watching, but the truth is that people are watching. Due to the surplus of plays this song receives at every party, people are watching often.

Let’s stop this dilemma together.

Overplayed song #2: Bitch Better Have My Money – Rihanna

To be fair, this isn’t a terrible song; Rihanna undoubtedly produced a hit.

The problem is that one third of the way into the song, the word “bitch” appears so many times that listeners’ ears will probably need a cleaning. The song gets repetitive quickly, and when it’s played more than five times during one party it only gets worse.

Overplayed song #3: All Night Longer – Sammy Adams

The year 2012 called, and it wants this song to remain forever echoing within the four walls of your dorm in Witte.

The beat is a little too fast to get your grind on, but is also a little too slow for a full on rager. The average partygoers tend to find themselves either awkwardly bobbing up and down or bursting off their feet so violently they strain both calf muscles.

Everyone knows the words, everyone enjoys boozing up on the weekend and everyone has heard the song so many times tonight that they’re starting to go insane.

Here’s what you can sub in

Underplayed song #1: Lemme Freak – Lil Dicky

This rapper/comedian’s comical piece details his attempts at “freaking” with a girl he meets at a bar. The lyrics are hilarious, despite the fact the average partier won’t be paying attention. Even so, the instrumentals are upbeat and will keep any small to mid-sized party thriving.

Underplayed song #2: Big Rings – Drake and Future

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hV5kCBY_ok4

Every good party needs at least one banger, this is it. Straight off Drake and Future’s dual mixtape, it’ll lead the intoxicated vagabonds inhabiting the basement to keep dancing, but also prove to attendees that the host knows how to vary his beat.

Underplayed song #3: Breaking Free – High School Musical Cast

Let’s be real. This mixtape was .

Everyone has seen High School Musical at least once, and it’s likely that a majority know the words to most of the songs.

What better way to instill a sense of camaraderie into a party than blaring one of the most popular songs at full volume? In a fraternity house basement with more than 100 drunk students trying to hook up, this may not be the most mood-fitting song, but for more humble crowds, it’s sure to please.